Chicken Newb with a few questions.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by monsoon, Sep 22, 2011.

1. monsoon

monsoon New Egg

May 5, 2011
    I'm building a small elevated chicken tractor (2 ft. at the base) and i need to know what recommended angle to put the ramp at. Also how tall and wide to make the door. I have standard New Hampshires. Thanks

Eric

2. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Eric, A 1'' x 6" is adequate for width. Just take a rough measurment with a tape and see what looks good for an angle. They can negotiate pretty much anything you give them. Add some little strips of wood across the ramp for helping with their footing. Good luck.
    Erik

3. monsoon

monsoon New Egg

May 5, 2011
    Thanks for the info. Im glad i asked i was thinking i'd have to run a long ramp and have a much wider door than 1 x 6.

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Monsoon, Sorry for the misconception. I didn't replay with a door width answer. Just ramp idea. As far as a door.....10"-12" wide x 14" 16" high seems to work for most. Didn't mean to forget that. Ok, so good luck with your build.
    Erik

5. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Also use the search on this site, just put in 'coop door' or such and you'll get some other good ideas. I did!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by