Chicken newbie - Gapeworm or ?

VanCity Farm Girl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Hi all,

I just got 2 light sussex pullets and 1 red sex-link hen (6 mos. old) 3 weeks ago. First chickens and brand new coop!

"Ginger" the sex link has started to make a strange cough/choke sound intermittently the past few days. At first I didn't think much of it but now it seems to be getting more frequent. Today I saw her opening her mouth wide as if yawning. She is still laying normally and eating, drinking, and behaving normally and doesn't seem otherwise bothered. I do let them free range around the yard when I'm home and they did eat quite a few earthworms when I was gardening a while ago. The two pullets seem fine.

Looking on these forums, looks like this could possibly be gapeworm? Anyone have any experience with this or advice? They get apple cider vinegar in their water already, but otherwise just grower crumble (for my other two 14 week old pullets), and free choice grit and oystershell.

If I do need to worm them, what should I use? I'm in an urban area without a lot of feed/ag stores around - any idea where I can get wormer if necessary? I'm in Vancouver BC, Canada.

Thanks all! I appreciate your advice.

You will need another person to help you. Use a flashlight to look down her throat for any obstructions. If there are none, use a Q-tip and stick it one inch down her throat and gently swab her throat and remove the Q-tip. If you see and red in color "Y" shaped worm on the Q-tip, that's gapeworm. Since you live in Canada, it's difficult to get wormers. But you will need one of the following wormers to kill gapeworm: Valbazen(albendazole)...Safeguard(fenbendazole)...Ivermectin pour on. If your hen has gapeworm and you are able to purchase one of these wormers, PM me and I'll give you the dosage for that particular wormer. Good luck.

Thanks Dawg & HappyChooks - I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I'm at work all day today but will try to get hubby's help tonight or tomorrow morning. Will keep you posted.

Well, looked down her throat & didn't see anything. Also swab turned up nothing. She still does the cough, but it hasn't gotten worse since I posted last, and she seems healthy otherwise (good energy, eating and laying well, normal poops). The other two pullets with her are fine. She seems to do it more when she is eating or free ranging & grazing. Maybe she just has a strangely shaped throat & stuff gets a bit stuck? Her crop feels normal to me too. Guess I'll just keep an eye on her.

Thanks again for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom