Chicken Newbie Here! So Excited!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jessica.anne, Dec 22, 2011.

1. jessica.anne

jessica.anne Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2011
    South Carolina Midlands
    Hey ya'll!! Greetings from South Carolina!!
    Back in the early summer months my husband came home and told me a friend of his had some chicks and was wondering if I'd like to go pick out a few since I'd been saying I'd like to have some chickens...long story short...I picked out 6 biddies, going by which colors appealed to me and now have 4 hens and 2 roosters. My hens have just started laying within the last few days. I haven't had any fighting issues with my roo's so far, with one roo being clearly dominant, but the lesser roo is getting some action as well. Haha
    I have tons of questions, have been reading the forums for some time for answers, and have finally joined.
    I'm super excited to be here and can't wait to share my experiences and learn from others' as well!!
    Thanks for having me!!

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

3. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    So glad to have you here. [​IMG] ..you will meet a lot of great people just like you that love [​IMG] their peeps.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ...Merry Christmas & HAPPY NEW YEAR!......[​IMG] [​IMG] ~CHARM1704

4. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert!

Warning: BYC can become seriously addicting!! [​IMG]

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

First and foremost: Welcome to BYC!

Now, about your roosters, chances are they won't ever fight (much), because they were raised together and have established their pecking order with an alpha and beta status. I have a dominant rooster and <*cough*> eleven other roosters in my flock of around 50 chickens, 9 ducks and a pair of geese.

I chose my very first chicks -8 of 'em- as one each of different breeds because I didn't think I'd be able to tell 'em apart if they were all one breed, such as Rhode Island Reds. I knew I'd name them all, and it just seemed like I would be starting each day with greetings like this: "Good morning, Rhoda! Well, how are YOU today, Rhoda? You're looking good this morning, Rhoda. Well, hello, Rhoda, how are you?" Nah, couldn't have that! [​IMG]

And I have continued to add breeds to the flock over the past two years. They're all named, and I only have a few "duplicate" breeds. I have since learned I CAN tell them apart if they are the same breed, though. [​IMG]

Hope to see posts from you and pictures of your flock members. BYC is THE best place for chicken-keeping folks like us. Great information, wonderful stories, and always the best place to come when you make mistakes by not checking here first. Then you can learn how to fix what you didn't do right the first time.

...at least that's been my experience. Your mileage may vary.

7. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hi, from big bear, you'll love all the info you get here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by