Chicken newbie here with sick hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DanaSue11, May 4, 2016.

1. DanaSue11

DanaSue11 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Edmonds, WA
    Hello! Im a newbie to keeping chickens and have a sick hen! I got my hens two and a half weeks ago from an acquaintance. They are 8 months old and laying--two gold sex link and two black. Very suddenly, a week and a half after getting them, one died overnight. She went into her coop early that night and hunkered down. I put Immune Boost in the water and she passed overnight. Very sad. Another hen started to look down on Sunday and I noticed some mucus and foam in her poop, so I immediately started treating them with Corid. It's been three days and they perked up considerably and their appetites have increased. This morning I went to check on them and the hen that was looking down is down again. She is hunkered and not very active, but upright. Her red bits look good, eyes clear, no mites... Any thoughts? I have some Duramycin and Tylan is on its way. I am at a loss and frustrated.

Can I give Duramycin and Corid at the same time?

2. DanaSue11

May 4, 2016
    Edmonds, WA
    I've reposted in Emergencies...

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Good idea. have you gotten an answer? Sometimes it takes awhile.

4. DanaSue11

May 4, 2016
    Edmonds, WA
    No responses yet. [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope you have received some replies on the ER thread. Is it possible you could take her to a vet?

6. DanaSue11

May 4, 2016
    Edmonds, WA

I didn't get responses... I fed them lots of protein yesterday and she has perked up. I wonder if our drastic temperature shifts are stressing her out. It's was 90 on Monday and 50 and raining yesterday. She didn't lay yesterday, but one missed day isn't a problem.

I'm sure there's an avian vet in Seattle I can take her to if she declines.

Thanks for your response!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by