1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken newbie here :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rileyboza, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Rileyboza

Rileyboza New Egg

Mar 3, 2016
    Florida
    Hi everyone, my name is Riley. I've lurked this website on and off for a number of years, as I've always wanted to own a farm since I was little. Now, at the age of 22, my dream is coming true. I'm closing on a property this month and I'll have my very own 2.5 acres! I have a LOT of animals, but none of them are chickens. The only other farm animal I own currently is a lovely horse, so he will be coming with me. I'm very excited to finally have chickens in my life, but I have a lot to refresh myself on!

It's so nice to meet you all :)

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Riley and a warm welcome to BYC! - Congrats on your new farm - you must be very excited!

If you check out the Learning Centre, you'll find a whole host of resources on all things chicken.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Your state thread is worth joining as you will get to know other BYC members in your area (just type your state in the search box). In fact, the search box should become your best friend [​IMG] Lastly but by no means least, the members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
    CT

3. Rileyboza

Rileyboza New Egg

Mar 3, 2016
    Florida
    Thank you for the reply, CTKen! :) I am VERY excited, but also nervous, as there's a lot to be done before & after the closing! Haha. My horse is first priority as I have to put up proper fencing, but this will give me ample time to read up more on taking care of chickens and deciding on how to build my coop. I actually just located the Florida thread xD

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You're most welcome - I wish you all the best! BTW - there's a very nice member on your Florida thread - NFLChick (don't tell her I said so, otherwise she'll be bragging about it! [​IMG])

6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Riley, [​IMG]

There are quite a few other members with horses. You could meet some of them here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/22/other-pets-livestock

Always nice to see another Floridian here!

P.S. @CTKen what are you trying to do...ruin my reputation with comments like this, "BTW - there's a very nice member on your Florida thread - NFLChick (don't tell her I said so, otherwise she'll be bragging about it! [​IMG])". Humph! [​IMG]

8. Rileyboza

Rileyboza New Egg

Mar 3, 2016
    Florida
    Haha thanks for the warm welcome everyone XD NorthFLChick hey at least you are memorable lol

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Did you know you have a possibly ,poisonous , spider on you? [​IMG] Go get a chicken, she'll eat it. Have a nice day[​IMG]

10. Rileyboza

Rileyboza New Egg

Mar 3, 2016
    Florida
    Haha XD I do know! That's in honor of the five female black widows that were living in my garage when I moved here, lol. Actually have kept a few as pets! But these days I only keep tarantulas, no true spiders to be seen. I am definitely looking forward to my future chickens eating insect pests outside though! Ticks and the like, ughh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by