CHICKEN NEWBIE in GA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Georgia Chik'n, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Georgia Chik'n

Georgia Chik'n New Egg

Aug 14, 2011
    [​IMG] Yep! Have no cheeps yet but maybe looking at 3 or 4 (?) Barred Rocks... Hens & rooster. Strictly PETS. Don't even really care about the eggs!! haha! Anybody have good/bad to tell me about the Plymouth Rocks before I decide? These will not be free range as we have too many predators. They'll be housed in a nice small shed/playhouse with a chain-link run, taking all precautions.

I was thinking of putting the chicken enclosure within my Nigerian Goat's larger enclosure, but I don't want to invite predators to my goats!!! Feedback?

2. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG] -- barred rocks are great IMO, I also think buffs make good "pet" chickens very sweet and calm.... good luck

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, Georgia Chick'n! Happy to have you aboard. [​IMG] Chickens sure do make great pets, don't they! I do process some of mine and will start getting eggs soon, but they are pretty cool just to have around! Enjoy! [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you glad. Good choices. IMO I wouldn't put them in with the goats unless the goats won't have access to the grass that the chickens have been pooping on. Unless it is a very large are. Not good for grazing animals. [​IMG]

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Great idea with the rocks. My favorite chicken, and most personable, is one of our barred rocks! Nelly is the best chicken ever.

You should check out the coops section of the forum. Lots of your coop questions are probably being talked about there as we speak. Good luck with everything!!!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hi, from Fannin County, GA in the mtns! Barred Rocks are the perfect chicken, in my opinion! And you can keep them with goats very well; in fact, goats will keep predators from the chickens for the most part. Good luck!

7. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

WELCOME ABOARD. [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Barred Rocks are my favorites hands down, very friendly.

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by