Chicken Newbie in San Diego CA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Keeperkim, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Keeperkim

Keeperkim New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    Hi All!

My name is Kim, and I don't have any chickens!....yet. I'm still in the research phase, and am loving perusing through the forum to help me decide on breeds etc.

Here is a bit about me: I just recently moved to Ramona (the country!), from the city of San Diego. I have been a zookeeper for 10 years, and currently work at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park in the nursery area, which I love. I have worked with elephants, rhinos, giraffe, gorillas many more. I went to UC Davis, which is a great aggie school, but until now, I have not had the opportunity to sprout my aggie roots!

I currently breed fancy rats for show and pets, which I've done for the past 3 years. I've produced a few grand champions with very long pedigrees, and absolutely love the genetics behind rats, and they are stinkin cute. When I was younger I bred English Parakeets for show as well. I am married, with two fur kids, our dogs, Tipsy and Pansy, and about 25 rats.

I am really in the beggining of my research on what breeds to choose. I would love to hear others opinions. I am really interested in showing, and am very drawn to the bantum varieties. I would love to find a breeder that breeds for show, that could offer some suggestions on what a good amatuer breed would be. I would also really like a fair egg layer, not looking for big production, I'd just like a few eggs from my flock a week. These are going to be coup chickens, not free range. I'm thinking I may need to do two breeds, one for egg laying, one for show? Here in Ramona is does get pretty hot in summer (100+), but not too cold in winter, lowest would be in the 20s at minimum. I'd like a friendly, docile breed, that I can breed for families to keep as pets, but also keep with show quality. Any suggestions folks, or do I have too tall of an order? Thanks for any help, and look forward to talking chickens with everyone on the forum!

Kim

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. There are plenty of folks here that sell SQ birds. You might want to check out the For Sale items at the bottom of the Forum page. :thumbsup

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

4. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Hi and [​IMG] from Va.
    I'm no expert ,but i have read that most bantams are cold hardy. However the Antwerp Belgian Bantams/Belgian Bearded D'Anver are active & tames nicely, does poorly in the cold, will go broody,with fair egg production of tiny eggs and do well in confiement. clean legged rose comb and creamy brown. info from the meyer hatchery catalog.
    hope that help a little,
    steve

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. Keeperkim

Keeperkim New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    thanks for the tips and welcomes!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  7. Barred Babies