Chicken Newbie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Simple Chick, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Simple Chick

Simple Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2007
    Hi Everyone. I've been checking on your discussions for the past week or so. I've gotten a lot of great information! Thanks! I just got my chicks yesterday - a nice variety of 24 pullets. I feel like I have most things under control, but have an odd question... I have taken to calling one of the chicks "Poopers" because her little bottom is so dirty! I thought I might be able to pull off off the dried "dingleberries" but was afraid to hurt her and pull out her feathers. She kind of picks at it herself and I noticed the other ones do too. Should I just leave it alone? Will she take care of it herself? Or should I try to remove it? How big of a deal is a dirty bottom? Thanks for your help!

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

First of all.....welcome.

That is called "pasty butt" Some get it when transfered..due to stress. Not a big deal...but you DO need to get it off. There are a few ways...

1) Run her little bum under warm water..and gently wipe with a wet cloth.

2) just gently wipe with a wrm wet cloth.

you do need to get it off of there tho...so the others dont peck her little bottom raw!

Enjoy your peeps...they are so much fun, and the rewards are great...fresh eggs and hours of watching them enjoy a great life.

3. Simple Chick

Simple Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2007
    Thanks for your advice!
    I have another question - I noticed a discussion on lighting for chicks. My husband's family used to raise ostriches so my chicks are in a nice climate controlled brooder with only a flourescent light. Last night I turned off the light and they all went to sleep. This morning they were all awake and eating etc. (They get natural light from a window.) I guess I thought a normal light cycle would be OK for them, but should I leave the light on at night so they eat & drink while it is dark outside?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by