Chicken Newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicnewbie6, Dec 1, 2014.

1. chicnewbie6

chicnewbie6 New Egg

Dec 1, 2014
    Stafford, Virginia
    Hey Everyone,

I'm from Stafford Va and just yesterday I purchased 6 hens from my sister. She got them just as chics last spring. I think she thought it would be fun for my young niece and nephew and an easy way to get eggs. Well she was very disappointed when she still hasnt gotten any eggs. Theres a long story to that with poor living conditions, cramped space, hardly never any food or water and lots of stress.

My husband and I spent all weekend building a large coop and run for the new girls. I am very excited about this new adventure. My husband grew up with livestock I did not. So this is my adventure and I want to learn as much as I can so I can do most of the work myself. Not that my husband wont help ( he loves to) But I want to do this.

Thanks!

2. sunflower4you

sunflower4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    Welcome! Funny that if your sister waited just a little longer, she would get eggs. She already did most of the waiting!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, stressed sick birds do not do well at laying. Make sure to give them at least 5 square feet per bird in the coop, 10 square feet per bird in the run and get them out to free range every day. This will do wonders for their mental and physical health. And if you have to supervise due to predators, do so. I have to watch my flock as well, but try to get them out for at least 30 mins to an hour a day. They are thrilled just to get out and stretch their wings.

Give all these birds a once over to make sure they don't need any medical attention. You might worm them as well and check for bugs too. Birds kept in over crowded conditions usually have bugs and worms. Both of which will kill them over time.

Good luck with your new flock! If you have any questions along the way, you know where we are. Welcome to our flock!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. TwoCrows has given you some good advice. With good nutrition and plenty of space in a stress free environment, your hens should be laying again soon. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of hens did you buy from your sister?

5. chicnewbie6

chicnewbie6 New Egg

Dec 1, 2014
    Stafford, Virginia
    All 6 are RIR's. I am very excited and thanks so much for the useful information. Is there anything extra I can put in their water for an added treat? And any scraps I can feed them? Also right now I am use laying crumble feed, Is that ok? Should I be using something else?

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on Wyandottes7's answers to your questions. RIRs are a hardy dependable breed that lays well. You should get lots of eggs from those 6 ladies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by