chicken nipple water flow?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jollygreenegger1, Feb 10, 2013.

1. jollygreenegger1

jollygreenegger1 New Egg

Nov 16, 2009
    Western WA
    Hi, just purchased some red push in type nipples and was wondering, when I push/move them very little water comes out. Is this normal?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It should drip-drip-drip... when held to the side. If you're only getting a drip or two, it's likely that you've created a vacuum. The container should not be air tight and it doesn't take much of a hole to correct. Water should not drip between uses (assuming you put the air hole above the water line)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  3. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    mine are working great; however, i am curious if indeed the chickens are getting enough water cause i see them pecking at the nipples an awful lot.... i see the water does come out but maybe they get annoyed at the small drips?

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    They must be getting what they need, right? Yes, the flow is pretty slow but their mouths are small. They can hold the lever open and chug if they want but most of the time, they'll take a few drips and be satisfied. When they dip from a puddle, their little beaks don't hold much and they need to lift their head to swallow each little bit. How annoying that must be! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by