Pics

jthornton

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 30, 2017
Poplar Bluff, MO
My Coop
My Coop
Right now I have vertical nipples on my watering bucket. Did some searching for horizontal ones and came up with these horizontal side mount nipples at My Pet Chicken. They seem like a reasonable price, has anyone used these? I'm thinking about adding a few on my bucket. Henry is getting pretty tall...

chicken-water02.jpg

JT

Last edited:
I’ve got a bunch of those and also sold several to friends. They have been the answer to northern chicken farmers prayers. The barrel and heater setup with those nipples hasn’t given any problems with freezing even at -40C, none of them have leaked yet with the chickens or turkeys. Getting chicks onto them is pretty easy at just a couple days old.

The only time I’ve had a failure is in a pen of 1500 ringneck roosters. They managed to pull the metal valve out of 2 of them. But they were slightly different than the ones you have pictured.

This is my 3rd winter using the horizontals.

I threw several hundred of the vertical ones in the trash when I was cleaning out the shop a couple weeks ago. The things are worse than useless, IMHO.

I just made a horizontal waterer with pvc pipe, not a bucket although a bucket feeds the system. The nipples don't leak (I did wrap the threads with pvc tape before screwing them in) but they're hard for my chicks to push in. You have to push them in firmly and straight, not from the side. They're about 4 weeks old and they try so hard. They peck all over but not hard enough and not in the right spot. I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue for a bigger chicken but I feel like I should have used vertical nipples for my chicks. Good luck!

Eta: I have the square ones, not the cross shape.

Back
Top Bottom