Chicken Nipples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bustermommy, Jun 16, 2011.

1. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I got tired of my chickens standing in the water, dumping it over, making it filthy, etc., so I did a little research and found chicken nipples. I made a chicken nipple milk jug waterer based on someone else's waterer on this site and hung it in their run yesterday. Since it has been in the 90s, I wanted to make sure they had water so I filled their water dish also.

I taught one how to use the water and have since seen all of them use it at least once, so they all know how. However, they don't seem to really be using it. When I go out and check on them, there isn't much water gone, so I fill their dish and they all run over to it and stand there drinking like they haven't had water in a week.

Is this a case of they will use the nipples rather than die of heat stroke and dehydration even if they don't like them, or will they continue to be stubborn about it?

Should I just stop giving them the supplemental water to force them to use the nipples?

I would like to make them a PVC chicken nipple waterer, but want to make sure they would use the nipples first.

Any advice welcome.

TIA

2. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    We've been using the nipples in the run for a couple of weeks now and have not had any problems. We do also have a 2 gallon metal double wall in the coop, so I know they are getting enough water even if they are not using the nipples as much. I always see them taking a sip from the nipples and guess they are satisfied doing so. It has been hot a couple of days so I would think they are getting enough water by the looks of them. Do you remember how much water they consumed before you started them on the nipples? If it is close to the same, then you should be okay.

Good luck. I know how frantic we can get when trying something that appears unconventional to us, and not knowing for sure if it works.

3. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Sadly, I have no idea how much they normally drink due to the aforementioned bad habits. They would tip over the water while I was still filling it (the head chicken thinks it's funny, I guess). They went through half a gallon a day, but I know most of it was wasted. I also dumped and refilled a lot to make sure the water was cool. (They give me dirty looks if I give them warm water.)

Anybody have any idea of how much 4 9 week old pullets should be drinking per day in Colorado (dry) in 85-95 degree weather?

I have yet to see them panting as they have a raised coop and spend the hot hours underneath in shade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by