Chicken Nipples

TucksMama

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 12, 2013
Western Colorado
I have been watering my chickens with a two gallon water. I made a 5 gallon bucket with chicken nipples underneath that hangs from the top of the coop. I cannot get them to drink out of it. I have even put peanut butter on the nipples to get the girls interested in it and it didn't work. Any ideas? I like the 5 gallon bucket because the water stays clean and I don't have to worry about filling it everyday. I'm afraid if I take away the 2 gallon waterer they will not drink. Its too hot right now for them not to have something to drink.

I would give it a little time. Is the waterer at the correct height? The nipples on my waterer are a little above head level. Do you use ACV? If so I might put ACV in the nipple waterer and plain water in the 2 gallon waterer. At least my chickens appear to prefer the ACV. Lastly, maybe provide a little demonstration to the girls. Jab the nipples with your finger and let them see the water. I agree you shouldn't completely remove the old waterer until you are sure that they are drinking from the new one but maybe you could remove it for an hour or so and watch to see if they go for the new one? Good luck.

I put the nipples in a plastic pipe one foot apart and ran it along the fence sloping it down so they are at different levels. So far my 11 hens have shown no interest either. Of course I just took them in from a friend that has been using a pan for 2 years. Haven't gave up yet but I'm thinking the auto water bowls may be better for older birds. Will save the nipples for a new flock of chicks...Will be watching to see if you find the hot tip!

Ours got acustomed to the nipples in about a day.. Unfortunately ours stopped working after about 3 months and water would not come out well even after cleaning so we ditched them in favor of a pan of water.. We've decided to move to a plumbed cup water that they can drink out of.. Oh well..

Ours got acustomed to the nipples in about a day.. Unfortunately ours stopped working after about 3 months and water would not come out well even after cleaning so we ditched them in favor of a pan of water.. We've decided to move to a plumbed cup water that they can drink out of.. Oh well..
Here are nipples that you will not have any problem with. Spring loaded with O ring seat.
I have not had to touch mine in over two years!
HORIZONTAL POULTRY WATERING NIPPLES right here on BYC

Here are nipples that you will not have any problem with. Spring loaded with O ring seat.
I have not had to touch mine in over two years!
HORIZONTAL POULTRY WATERING NIPPLES right here on BYC

Back
Top Bottom