chicken noise and living in town

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by marliah, Jul 24, 2008.

1. marliah

marliah Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    I had chickens my whole childhood and am just now getting some again (well I already have 2, but am getting 4 more this afternoon), I am having a hard time remembering how noisy they can be. At this point I am going to be building them a coop inside the upstairs of my garage, I am wondering if the neighbors (one house is about 40' away from me) are going to be hearing alot of noise from them?

I will only be keeping hens, but I recall some of them being quite loud when they lay eggs :p

if they will be too loud, even indoors what are some things I can do to insulate to keep the noise down?

Also I am building a 4' by 4' coop for the 6 hens, and putting in 2 1' x 1'' nesting boxes, is that enough space for them? at this point they can't go outside...not exactly "legal" pets here. But they will be allowed out to roam the whole upstairs of the garage and play with the kids and I on a regular (most likely daily) basis. [​IMG] I <3 my chickens.

Anything I need to suppliment them with since they will be indoor only at this point? should I be bringing them grass clippings and fresh bugs? I need to add grit to their diet right? anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance!

Marliah

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Most of the time hens are not too noisy. And when they make their, 'I laid an egg' song, its not that long. Neighbors may wonder what the heck is that, but it shouldn't be that loud, depending on the breed I guess. What breed? Will they ever get sunlight? They need some sunlight too. But, I think 4 x 4 might be a little tight for them, the 1 x 1 for a nest box is good, you'll really have to see if they can get along in that amount of space.

3. marliah

marliah Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    yes they will get sun, its a night bright room with a window that faces south, its brighter than half the rooms in my house :p , and I will be installing full spectrum lights for the winter.

There will be 4 rhode island reds and 2 white leghorns when its all said and done. If I need to I can always build a second coop and put 3 in each or something. I went and bought all the supplies I needed today to build what I wanted and it only ran me $40.

I am building this one

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=3951-2StoryCoop

(just the top portion) on legs 12" long and will have cat boxes underneath to catch droppings/shovel waste into so I can use it in the garden.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by