Chicken noise and neighbors

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tororider, Feb 11, 2008.

1. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    I originally wanted to get some chickens for out at our property, but it doesn't look like that is going to work. I found out that in our township we can have three chickens as long as they don't create a stench, pretty much annoy the neighbors.

My question is this: If I were to have three large laying hens, buff orpingtons(or two buff orps and an americauna), and cleaned the coop weekly is there any reason to think that there would be a nasty smell? Also, I can't imagine they make too much noise, just nice clucking.

Thoughts, opinions?

Thanks

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Do you mean the chickens will be housed on a property away from your home?

3. tororider

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Originally they were to be housed on another property we have 30 minutes from the house. That idea is out until we move out there anyways. Now the idea is that I will build a coop, and keep them behind my detached garage.

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I live in the "burbs" with 5 hens. I don't have trouble. I did tell the neighbors first ( I didn't ask, just mentioned ) anyway, occasionally one will be real noisey, but it's not common. She may "bawk" when she knows I'm coming with a treat or she's laid an egg. The smell is almost nothing believe it or not. I didn't have full size birds over the summer though, but can't imagine with some routine cleaning out it will get bad.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:You may have to clean more often than that to keep smelll down. Just so you know. A daily-cleaned droppings board would help.

You would be surprised, some people here *have* had issues with neighbors complaining about noise from hens, who can sqwawk fairly loudly if they feel like it... but, if you are on good terms with your neighbors and dole out eggs as needed, most everyone seems to do okay with the noise thing [​IMG]

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    For the most part the hens would be fairly quiet but there are those moments when you will want to tape their mouths shut. LOL A few of mine throw up a noise to beat the band when they lay. Others, not one peep to be heard.

7. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    My girls can at times be VERY noisy. I live in the city as well, but it is really no louder than a dog barking. It usually happens in the morning, especially when that are about to lay. So far no problems. I know one of my neighbors hates my chickens but he is a weirdo and I really do not care what he thinks. I mean for god's sake, he throws a Frisbee to himself? Strange cookie!

8. tororider

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    With regards to noise at night I would assume they are quietly asleep? Not that any of my neighbors could complain, between the just being plain loud to the dogs barking incessantly at night, the hens would be like mice would be my guess.

The clean out pan is something I will definitely do to make sure I can clean it out quickly, and often, if needed.

9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They go to roost when the sun goes down. They like to sleep. You'll not hear too much from them at night unless something upsets the hen house.

10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I have 3 hens. The only time they're a little noisy is wake up time and egg laying time. But it's minimal. A little sqawking and bok bok boks, then quiet all day.

I use a kitty litter shovel and scoop out their daily poo into a bucket. If I skip a day - still not bad. NO SMELL. And my coop is about 15 feet or so from my neighbors actual house. I rake out the run weekly.

The only thing dirty about my birds is their feet. Boy, they always know where the poo is and step right in it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by