chicken noises

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mxpres, Feb 6, 2009.

1. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    my 19 week old golden comets recently started making soft,(baaawking) sounds.one old timer told me they would be laying soon,he said they would (sing) like that when it was time to start laying.are they any facts to this or just an old wives tale?anyone have any facts as to this?curious in NC

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    That is a good indication that egglaying is coming. Mine also starting squatting when you pet them. Also, you will notice their combs will start turning really red.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It's true they'll sing the egg-laying song...but it certainly is not soft! I can hear mine over 300' away from my house! I had one that sang the song for 2 full months before she began to lay...sigh...

4. This can also be a sign of contentment. You will hear a lot of "cooing" during the nite nite time at roost.

Hens are more voice pron than the roos, but the roos do "coo" at night right before they go to sleep.

A "signing" group of birds at roost time is a happy group. They are content, warm and feel safe.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Chicks are very quiet.

Layers make a lot more and different sounds, some quiet some not so quiet.

Steve

6. I'M On Island Time

I'M On Island Time Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2008
    Chain O'Lakes IL
    My hens make so many different sounds. They coo softly at night and when I am opening the door of the coop to let them out or check on them.

They have a distinct bagawww when someone lays an egg and are all really excited over it.

They have 'danger' bawks, and then 'screams' bawwwwwwwwwwwwwkkkkkkkk when a predator is after them (that is my warning to get the gun!).

They also have different little sounds they make to the rooster.

It is like an entire chicken language. Sometimes if I imitate it just right, they will talk back!

7. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    mine to if i go chick-chick-chick-chick-chick-chick she sorta copies me

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    This month's BackYard Chickens magazine has a wonderful article on chicken volcalizations. It decribes the differences between hen and roo calls and describes how each call is used. It definitely worth reading.

9. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    thanks everyone,from what I have read my ladies should start laying very soon,chickens certianly have a language all their own,whenever I take the feeder out to refill it I have one hen that follows me to the door,with her head in the feeder ,baawlking..like she is telling me to bring that back ,,its so comical

10. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    My chickens make those noises too! It means they're going to start laying. My do that baaaawk thing when they are walking to their nests to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by