Chicken noises?

sphinxface

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2015
Renton, Washington
Do different breeds of chickens make different noises? I'm pretty sure different individual chickens probably all make different levels of noise.

For example, my Plymouth Rock has a whine sort of noise she makes frequently and in different intensities of pitch. My Specked Sussex makes most of her noises when eating/finding bugs, my EE Kindof grumbles and growls, and the buff orpigton and white leghorn are fairly quiet. They all make different noises when sitting in the nest box. The buff honks sometimes, mostly when sneezing, the leghorn made a strange sound yesterday that sounded like she was blowing bubbles in milk..

What are some weird noises you guys have observed? Did you ever find out what they mean?

That is scary, as the blowing bubbles in milk noise can be a sign of illness. Keep an eye on them, closely. yeah, they have different noises sometimes. Bird flu is going through your part of the country. So watch them. Keep them confined if you can, don't let them free range til things settle down with this virus. I wouldn't if I were you, anyway.

That is a whole nother host of questions and concerns you just mentioned!

When she did it I think it was chicken talk cause she was standing really still and staring off into nothing which I've seen them do quite frequently. It was very quietly emanating from her, I probably wouldn't have heard it if she hadn't been right next to me either.

most symptomatic things seem to lead to worms, and I will be starting their treatment tomorrow, hopefully they improve after and that it's not too harsh for them ;(

Last edited:
chicknmania makes some good points.

Bubbling noises when breathing usually points to a respiratory issue.....not worms.

" ....standing really still and staring off into nothing which I've seen them do quite frequently..."

Lack of activity can be a sign of illness also.

I agree. You need to get the whole flock started on antibiotics, right now. Don't wait! Although you are right in saying that most problems begin with parasites, I would not deworm while you are trying to treat. If she has had this problem for more than a few days, I doubt that you are looking at the Avian Flu, because it is very quickly lethal. However, it could be one of many respiratory problems. Go to your feed mill and look for a water soluble antibiotic, preferably something stronger than Duramycin, and give it to the whole flock. If you are forced to use Duramycin, use 4 tsp per gallon. Tylan would be a better choice, if you don't have a lot of birds, it comes in injectable form and I you can also give it orally, I think though I don't know what the dose would be. Another suggestion would be Oxytet, and really, if you can get it at your feed store, that's what I would start with. There are even more poowerful antibiotics you can get on line without a prescription. Separate your birds that you have identified as being sick, if you can, from the rest of the flock. Go now, don't wait. Birds conceal symptoms until they are very ill.

Usually when they stand very still it's when they are staring each other down, or they hear a weird noise. I could record Sweet Peas growling talk to see if you guys think it's normal, but I've never heard the noise that Blitz made before and am doubtful if I ever will again?

Isn't it bad to dose your flock with antibiotics "just because"?

The only real symptoms I have noticed are poopy butts and broken eggs. From what I gather it is probably worms since they eat a lot of bugs and have never been de-wormed before. So I think it's good to treat them for te obvious instead of something they may or may not need.

I was mostly asking about chickens normal noises. Do most Plymouth rocks talk a lot with high pitched whines? Are Leghorns usually silent?

Last edited:
My ginger ranger makes really high pitched whining noises, kind of like the mooing noise a cow makes. I always think she seems really sad, as she's bottom of the pecking order.

Two of them honk like ducks. One sounds really gravelly and the other sounds about as normal as a chook sounds. I guess their voices are like ours- individual to us :)

It's possible that this should have been posted in the "general breed discussion" forum (maybe a different forum altogether?), while it's not about any specific breed? I might have more questions in the future regarding normal chicken behavior if I someday plan to add to the flock or replace any losses. Should I post there or is this area ok?

My ginger ranger makes really high pitched whining noises, kind of like the mooing noise a cow makes. I always think she seems really sad, as she's bottom of the pecking order.

Two of them honk like ducks. One sounds really gravelly and the other sounds about as normal as a chook sounds. I guess their voices are like ours- individual to us
smile.png
I don't know if I could compare the noise to a cow but, my rock is also at the bottom of the pecking order! I always think she's so sad because of the noise but then I think maybe that's just her normal sound?

Back
Top Bottom