Chicken Noob

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 1Ruffledfeather, Jan 30, 2014.

1. 1Ruffledfeather

1Ruffledfeather Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2014
    Barnhart, MO
    I've gotten to the point where I am certain animals are more interesting and fun to be around than "real peeps". I'll be asking, what some might perceive as dumb, numerous questions - so please bear with me. I haven't purchased any yet, as I got no coop. I plan on using what was my woodworking shop and keeping them inside for the most part - my neighborhood does not allow "livestock". I am going to dedicate an area for them (no more than 2). I have found this site very informative and commend everyone involved.
    My first "dumb question" is - are hens noisy like roosters and do I run the risk of being found out because of it. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated

2. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    [​IMG]
    As for hens being noisy, I just it may depend on the breed. Mine are not as loud as the roosters but they can be noisy when they find some interesting bugs or get scared.

I noticed that you said that they will be in your old woodworking shop, will they still have access to fresh air and sun?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  3. 1Ruffledfeather

Jan 30, 2014
    Barnhart, MO
    Yes to both. I have southerly & westerly (is that a real word?) window exposures that open. Which do you feel would be best? I'm surprised you didn't list any dogs as part of your menagerie - I have 3 (2 Walker & a Shepherd (father) / Yellow Lab, Blue healer (mom). Any recommendations on what will be layer / pet?

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

5. 1Ruffledfeather

Jan 30, 2014
    Barnhart, MO
    It is a 2 car garage w/loft, electricity & propane furnace - will they be able to winter out there w/o having to have the furnace running constantly?

6. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Where you live and the breed of chickens will depend on what they can tolerate cold wise. I live in south, so I stayed with many cold hardy birds so I did not have to worry as much about temps.

Both these sites are great for helping decide on a breed...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds
    http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

I do have dogs (3). A chihuahua, Shih-Tzu and a Great Pyrenees. And they all get along with my chickens, thankfully.

As for the windows, might need to figure out which way your storms and winds come in. In the winter, close the window from winds and vise versa for summer.

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you here with us [​IMG]

Then I would get just some hens as pets not livestock
    as people eat livestock and pet's are not livestock [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Depending on your climate, the heat can be a hindrance. Birds that are used to added heat can really suffer when there are power outages. Or if it is much warmer inside than outdoor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by