Chicken not eating or drinking

Moollyb

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2016
Approx 6 month old pullet
Silkie-cemani mix
Hasn't laid an egg ever

Noticed on 10/23 that she was not as active as usual but eating and drinking
Yesterday 10/25 noticed that she was still not active as the others, not really eating or drinking so separated her from the flock. She did not run away from me when I tried to pick her up which she usually does.

Doesn't seem to be uncomfortable, breathing fine.
Crop seemed normal this morning (not full)
No blood in stool but not sure if it is runnier than usual.
Didn't notice any wounds or mites.
Could she be impacted with her 1st egg?
could it be coccidiosis?
Sleeping a lot today. Trying to feed her water.

Any thoughts about what might be going on and what I can do?

We have a small flock and have had a lot of loss this last 6 months so I would love to save her if I can!

Approx 6 month old pullet
Silkie-cemani mix
Hasn't laid an egg ever

Noticed on 10/23 that she was not as active as usual but eating and drinking
Yesterday 10/25 noticed that she was still not active as the others, not really eating or drinking so separated her from the flock. She did not run away from me when I tried to pick her up which she usually does.

Doesn't seem to be uncomfortable, breathing fine.
Crop seemed normal this morning (not full)
No blood in stool but not sure if it is runnier than usual.
Didn't notice any wounds or mites.
Could she be impacted with her 1st egg?
could it be coccidiosis?
Sleeping a lot today. Trying to feed her water.

Any thoughts about what might be going on and what I can do?

We have a small flock and have had a lot of loss this last 6 months so I would love to save her if I can!
Can you post some photos of her and her poop?

You mention you have had a lot of losses in the last 6 months - were symptoms all similar to what you are seeing with this one? Have you considered having a necropsy through your state lab to find out more information?

Try taking her aside or separating her in cage within the coop/run and see if she will drink some water. Once she's hydrated then offer feed.
Look her over really well again for injury, lice/mites, etc.
It's hard to know what's going on with them sometimes - so starting with getting them to drink and eat is one step.
Getting a fecal float is that's an option can quickly tell you if there is an overload of Coccidia and/or worms.

Can you post some photos of her and her poop?

You mention you have had a lot of losses in the last 6 months - were symptoms all similar to what you are seeing with this one? Have you considered having a necropsy through your state lab to find out more information?

Try taking her aside or separating her in cage within the coop/run and see if she will drink some water. Once she's hydrated then offer feed.
Look her over really well again for injury, lice/mites, etc.
It's hard to know what's going on with them sometimes - so starting with getting them to drink and eat is one step.
Getting a fecal float is that's an option can quickly tell you if there is an overload of Coccidia and/or worms.
[/QUOTE

Thanks for your response. We lost 5 in June to a raccoon attack. Lost 1 in Sept to some sort of respiratory thing. That chicken looked much more distressed than this one. I will check her over again tonight when I get home.

What is a fecal float?

Thanks for your response. We lost 5 in June to a raccoon attack. Lost 1 in Sept to some sort of respiratory thing. That chicken looked much more distressed than this one. I will check her over again tonight when I get home.

What is a fecal float?
A fecal float is taking a sample of poop to your vet so they can look for worms/parasites that may be causing problems.

You had respiratory illness with another one? Does this pullet have any symptoms?

Back
Top Bottom