Chicken Not Eating.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoCrows, Nov 30, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi all. I have a 9 month old Australorp Pullet that has been off her feed for several days now. Possibly more, but I discovered it a few days ago. She has no other symptoms at all. No runny nose, no coughing or wheezing. No swollen or puffy, watery eyes, no diarrhea. She does not have any signs of mites. Her vent feathers and that area are clean. She gets around in the normal fashion and is not suffering from any injury. She is not thin.

Her face, comb and wattles were very pale the past few days, however today she does have some color back to her. She is not all fluffed up or cold. She follows the girls around as they go on their rounds in search of tasty morsels, but she does not partake.

The ONLY foods she will eat is a tiny bit dried meal worms and a few bites of tomato. And she only eats these a couple times a day. She will not eat her layer feed even if it is wet down into a mash. (she was always a big eater of her food). I recently wormed them and it is possible that the wormers have caused her to feel ill.

But why else would she be off her feed? Her only symptoms are a lack of appetite while looking a bit lethargic. Thanks all. [​IMG]

2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Have you checked her crop or massaged it? Is she drinking? If it was me I would separate her and watch her for a couple of days to see how much she is eating, if she is pooping etc....

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Her crop is empty most of the time as she eats little. I have had her under a heat lamp at night to keep her warm so she burns few calories. Her poop is equal to the amount she is eating, which isn't much.

Her crop is not full of gas or air as in soured. Nor is there any hard lumps in it as in impacted. She is just not interested in eating much. I can get her to eat meal worms, some tomato and she even ate some left over french toast this morning. But has no interest in much else and will not touch her layer feed.

If her crop is full tonight before bed, I will let her sleep with the others in the coop. If it is empty, then she will sleep under an infra-red heat lamp in the greenhouse.

Thank you for the reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by