Chicken Not Going into Coop

sacrifice

Songster
10 Years
Mar 29, 2010
Caldwell, ID
So, I have 13 7-1/2 week old chickens that have been outside for about a two weeks. There are no adult chickens around. I kept them in the coop for two days so they understood where home was, and then I let them out into a temporary run. They will be free-ranged at 3 to 4 months depending on how big they are. The chickens all learned how to go into the coop to eat and drink on the first day, and by day 5 they all learned to go into the coop at night - I had to do a bit of hand carrying the first four nights - first all 13, then 6 for two nights, then three, then they all went in.

Everything was fine until three nights ago when one chicken stopped going into the coop. I mean he (I think he is going to be a roo, and one that I am going to keep as he is a Maran) NEVER goes into the coop, even for food and water. He stays out all day and will not go in at night. I have to carry him in at night, but he basically comes over to me for the free ride in so it is easy. When I put him in the coop, he is fine and likes it, and goes and participates in the nighttime chicken pile in the corner of the coop after he grabs some food and takes a drink.

He is very friendly and cooperative with the other chickens (and me) and seems very well adjusted to the coop (when I put him in it) and run, he just will not go in the coop anymore. The other chickens go in and out all day long with out issue. Also, the coop is not at all crowded so crowding is not an issue.

I have no idea why he does not go in, and no idea how to get him to go into the coop to eat, drink, and sleep without me putting him there. I am actually moving the water outside just for him.....

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
smile.png

I had a problem with my chicks going in their newly built shelter and I kept them "cooped" in there for a week or so. Then I start letting them out. Now they are ao used to being in their house I have to kick them out. Lol. I also put their food and water where I want them to be. I hope that's a little extra incentive for them to be either in or out.
I'm a newbie so I don't know if my method is correct or not.

I had a problem with my chicks going in their newly built shelter and I kept them "cooped" in there for a week or so. Then I start letting them out. Now they are ao used to being in their house I have to kick them out. Lol. I also put their food and water where I want them to be. I hope that's a little extra incentive for them to be either in or out.
I'm a newbie so I don't know if my method is correct or not.
That method is perfect.
It is the way I do it every time.

When my chickens don't go into the coop when I tell them to I will yell, or just say "bock bock chickens!" Loud enough so they can all hear me then I'll start making clucking noises and be like a sheep dog and round them up into the coop. I know it sounds crazy but it worked every single time with me. Or maybe you can just stand in the coop and shake a food container to see if he will go in. But if you follow them around flapping your arms until you got them where you want them, it will probaly work.

Back
Top Bottom