Chicken not laying when in the nest

Emflo11

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2018
One of my chickens go in the laybox everyday to "lay an egg" but she never does, it's been about 3 weeks since I got an egg from her but she still goes through the Same routine everyday. Can someone explain to me what is happening.

One of my chickens go in the laybox everyday to "lay an egg" but she never does, it's been about 3 weeks since I got an egg from her but she still goes through the Same routine everyday. Can someone explain to me what is happening.
How old is she?
Where in the world are you located (state/country)?

A photo of the chicken?

Check her over, does she have any swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?

Shes going to be a year in June, we live in Florida, and everything feels normal. I'll get a picture of her in a little bit.

Shes going to be a year in June, we live in Florida, and everything feels normal. I'll get a picture of her in a little bit.

Attachments

• 15567983410377463944747753206493.jpg
    15567983410377463944747753206493.jpg
    819.8 KB · Views: 7
Does she always hold her tail crooked?
Her stance with the tail down (besides being crooked), to me, says she's not feeling 100%. She is quite pale. Get a good look at her poop, check her for lice/mites, feel the crop first thing in the morning to see if it's empty.
With her being so pale, I would assume she might be out of lay, you can check her as outlined in the article below. Consider getting a fecal float to rule out worms.
She may be developing a reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors, Salpingitis, etc. I would re-examine her and compare her abdomen to the others (below the vent between the legs) for any bloat or swelling.
See that she's drinking and eating a balanced poultry feed well.
If you happen to lose her, getting a necropsy through your state lab will give you some answers or if you are inclined, perform an informal one yourself. Take photos of what you find and we may be able to help you with what you find.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Does she always hold her tail crooked?
Her stance with the tail down (besides being crooked), to me, says she's not feeling 100%. She is quite pale. Get a good look at her poop, check her for lice/mites, feel the crop first thing in the morning to see if it's empty.
With her being so pale, I would assume she might be out of lay, you can check her as outlined in the article below. Consider getting a fecal float to rule out worms.
She may be developing a reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors, Salpingitis, etc. I would re-examine her and compare her abdomen to the others (below the vent between the legs) for any bloat or swelling.
See that she's drinking and eating a balanced poultry feed well.
If you happen to lose her, getting a necropsy through your state lab will give you some answers or if you are inclined, perform an informal one yourself. Take photos of what you find and we may be able to help you with what you find.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Thank you !

Back
Top Bottom