Chicken not leaving nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lizinator, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Lizinator

Lizinator New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    I have two chickens, an ISA Brown and a White Leghorn. The one I'm concerned about is my Leghorn. I noticed her sitting in her nesting box and thought that she was only laying an egg. But then after an hour, she was still in her nesting box, and not even leaving for food or water. Her vent is red and inflamed, and it looks like she's been pulling her feathers out. I don't know how long she's been like this because I only noticed it today. Her crop and abdomen aren't swollen, and she has no problem with the other chicken, and the other chicken has no problem with her. Any ideas???

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    She may be egg bound. [​IMG] Many peeps have given attention to this by massaging and giving warm baths. I have never encountered this so cant speak from experience. Just what I read. Lets see what others think.
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

3. Lizinator

Lizinator New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    Thank you!! I'll have a look at what other people say!![​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC...sorry you're having problems.

Several of mine will sit in the nest for more than an hour before and/or after laying......I call them the 'Loungers'.

But if her vent is red and swollen she my indeed have a problem.
    Has she ever laid before?
    How old is she?
    Any chance you can get a clear pic of her vent?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by