Chicken not motivated to be a mother.

roosterT

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Hello, my chicken has been sitting on eggs and i am expecting them to hatch in 6 days. However, the mother doesn't seems motivated at all as she spends 1/2 her time outside pecking and messing around but she does sit on the eggs at night and for some time in the morning aswell. Is this a serious problem and can this cause the eggs not to hatch?

Chickens don't usually abandon their eggs
hu.gif

What breed is the mommy?

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
She's a gorgeous Plymouth Rock, is this kind of behaviour normal for this breed?

If she hasn't been sitting on the eggs consistently, then I doubt if they're going to hatch.

I actually had to kick my broodies off the nests a couple times a day and make them go eat and poo. They couldn't get back fast enough. If yours isnt sitting all day the eggs have probably gotten to cold to long. Have you candled them to check growth?

Last edited:
Ohh yeah, 3 of the eggs has just hatched and the other five has started to crack. Surprised as it's abit early my mother says i am made mistake counting the days. Anyway, i can see two black chicks and a yellow one. Now i really hope that one of the chicks grows into a barred rock rooster as i always wanted to have one.

Back
Top Bottom