Chicken not moving HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CoffeenChickens, Jan 16, 2014.

1. CoffeenChickens

CoffeenChickens New Egg

Jan 15, 2014
    Hi. I have 4 chickens. Two Plymouth Rocks and two Americanas. Recently I noticed my one Americana sleeping in the neat instead of the roost. Then I noticed it seemed like she could not bear weight easily on one side and would start to fall over however she was still walking and running. I also at this time noticed when she would come down from the coop in the ramp she would stumble. Then yesterday I noticed she wasn't bearing weight well on the other leg either and fell over. Now today when I opened up the coop she did not come out and stayed in the nest. Later she do come out and is just sitting under the coop with her feathers ruffled like she is cold but she won't move. I let he others out to free range and threw some treats on the ground for them and she still would not move. My husband picked her up and she squirmed a bit but when he put her down she wobbled like she was drunk and then sat back down. I'm totally worried. I called the local fees place and they said I need an antibacterial powder to put in the water and she might come through, they said they have seen it before but couldn't tell me what it was. I figured I would ask you all. The other 3 do not seem to be affected by this at this time. Anyone know what it is or what to do?

2. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    I really couldn't tell you what's wrong but put her by herself if she is sick she will get your other chickens sick so put her by herself in a small dog cage or something keep her someplace warm with cool clean water and food and get the powder!!!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. She is showing symptoms of Mareks disease. I am not an expert, and I wouldn't know that for sure, but it sounds like that. Did she have a Mareks vaccine? How old is she. I would not get upset about this, but just put her food and water within reach in a small area, and make sure that she isn't hurt by the others. I hope it is not Mareks. Here is a little information about Mareks: http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/502
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It may be Marek's, but a vitamin deficiency is possible too. You can try getting some poly vi sol infant vitamins, and give her some of those. If its a vitamin deficiency, this should work. I would not get the antibotics, at least not yet. These symptoms don't sound like that caused by a bacterial infection.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would suspect Marek's disease. How old is the hen, and do you know if she was ever vaccinated for Marek's disease? In case of a vitamin deficiency, I would start her on some poultry vitamins and/or polyvisol infant vitamins (without iron, 1-3 drops/day). Keep her isolated and just observe her for a while. If it is Marek's culling would be best, or you could try treating with St. Johns Wort/Hypericum and Turmeric.

6. CoffeenChickens

CoffeenChickens New Egg

Jan 15, 2014
    She is almost 3 yrs Is this something she can give to the others? Do we need to just put her down?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  7. CoffeenChickens

CoffeenChickens New Egg

Jan 15, 2014
    She was not vaccinated

8. CoffeenChickens

CoffeenChickens New Egg

Jan 15, 2014
    Would it be wise to cull her and put her in our garage in a crate with food water? I have dogs and small children. If it is Mareks is this a threat to them?

9. CoffeenChickens

CoffeenChickens New Egg

Jan 15, 2014
    Shortly after we removed her from the flock, she died. My husband put her in a crate and she lied on her side. When he told me this I knew it wouldn't be long. Just yesterday she was walking eating drinking.... Even though I knew something was up she was still acting like a chicken, then today it just got ahold of her so severely. I am just praying no others are affected. [​IMG]

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by