Chicken not moving? Leg injury?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nalu86, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Nalu86

Nalu86 New Egg

Jul 18, 2014
    I just noticed one of my chickens not moving. I picked her up and looked at the legs. I stretched them, to see how she would react and she didn't react to bad on it. I felt if leg was broken, but don't feel its broken. I put her on the ground and she sits down right away and supports with her wings. Anybody has any idea whats going on or had this before? Chicken is a black Bresse and about 5 months old. Thanks.

2. silkiemomma28

silkiemomma28 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2012
    I'm so sorry. Your chicken is very sick. Separate her from the rest of the flock. Do a search on this site for the three different things she probably has... and try to treat.

Has she had access to long grasses (is her crop buldgy and slushy?)
    Are her poops bloody (Cocci)?
    Mareks?

There are ways to unblock a blocked crop.
    Antibiotics for Cocci.
    And I have helped a chicken with dropper fed vitamin powder with a poulty type of rehydration fluid (like a pedialyte) that I purchased from my vet. I add some organic yogurt too.

There were very helpful things on this site that assisted my vet (who only knew about chickens from his grandmother) work through issues. I've had six chickens over the last 3 years and I'm down to two. I was only able to save 1 who got sick over the years (one baby chick drowned when we had someone chick sit and she put the larger waterer instead of the modified tiny one - so that could have been avoided.) We are organic 100% so I don't use vaccines etc.

Everyone on this site will share the holy trinity of daily foods...
    Garlic (I use organic chopped)
    Braggs Organic Apple Cider VInegar
    And my third is organic yogurt.

When I get away from this...my birds become vulnerable. I have silkes and frizzles.

Good luck with your baby. Mine are precious to me. Search "my bird is not moving"

3. Nalu86

Nalu86 New Egg

Jul 18, 2014
    We are also organic/ non GMO. We do the ACV, garlic and DE.
    This Black Bresse came from Greenfire farm vaccinated against Marek's.
    I never had anything like this in the 20+ years that I keep chickens.

She is in a 2x2 rabbit cage with resting pads all over the cage floor.
    Her crop was empty when I checked, I fed her fermented grains (barley, wheat, peas, oats) and she went nuts on them. Could it be that the other chickens (22 hens and 4 roosters) starved her and she got weak?

I will give her some of the vitamins and minerals I give my chicks.

Thx.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Starving from being kept from the food can cause weakness that may look like neurological problems. Vitamin deficiency is another. Eating something toxic such as lead shot, old paint chips, dead animals or fish, or moldy food can cause lameness. It does sound like it could possibly be Mareks, and occasionally, it can affect a vaccinated chick if there is vaccine failure, or if the chick becomes exposed to Mareks in the environment before becoming fully immune by 2-3 weeks old. I would use the vitamins for awhile just in case of a deficiency. Here are a couple of good links about Mareks:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Marek's_Disease

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by