1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken not moving

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ValerieBrombe, Feb 4, 2017.

1. ValerieBrombe

ValerieBrombe New Egg

Jan 26, 2017
    Hi everyone, I've been to BYC many times but this is my first posting. I volunteer and work with about 200 chickens and once before I had success in bringing one back to health by feeding her Exact Hand Feeding Formula with some Pedialyte and Poultry Nutri-Drench recommended at our feed store. It took a month of 5 syringe feedings/day of 4 teaspoons each time. "Martha was returned to her flock and is again laying eggs. When I brought her home she was "flattened" down and not eating.
    So I now have another crashed hen and am doing the same proceedure. She is at about the 3 week mark, again gaining weight like the last one, still not eating on her own but my main concern is that she won't walk. She stands all the time and sometimes turns. I've treated hens that became paralyzed, the vet said probably nerve damage from passing an egg, but my current hen can stand fine. Has anyone had experience with a hen that won't walk but doesn't appear to be injured? I'm going to bring in a kennel and cover the top and put her in it in case my bathroom is too roomy and she is frozen in fear. I've tried her outside but she still stands frozen.
    Thank you for any input.[​IMG]

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I don't know but I'll bump this up for you.

3. ValerieBrombe

ValerieBrombe New Egg

Jan 26, 2017
    I don't know what it means to be bumped but thank you.[​IMG]
    Her poop is consistent, no sign of diarrhea. Her crop feels full after syringing her but soft, not in a bad way.
    She just sits or stands. If I prod her from behind she takes a step or two but that's it. She does not limp when
    she takes those few steps but I know it's hard to tell if she is in pain when she takes them.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you bring in another pullet to be with her and see if she interacts or walks around? Make sure the other chicken does not bully her. She may be lonely, since they are not used to being alone. She may eat and drink better with a meek friend.

5. ValerieBrombe

ValerieBrombe New Egg

Jan 26, 2017
    That's a great idea! I'll try that tomorrow! [​IMG] Her weight is up to normal so she should be able to hold her own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by