Chicken not normal after hatching

LDnurse

In the Brooder
May 9, 2022
This chick hatched 12 hours ago and it’s just not looking right. There was no unabsorbed yolk but the abdomen is large. It tries to walk but falls over after taking a step or two.

Out of a dozen we’ve had a few do this but they would pass away within an hour of hatching. Is this caused by something I’m doing wrong or just an anomaly.

Attachments

• 34A67936-CED1-457E-802E-368479C853DE.jpeg
    34A67936-CED1-457E-802E-368479C853DE.jpeg
    446.4 KB · Views: 17
Some chicks might take a few hours-days-or a week or two to start even walking. My one chick came out not walking, shaking, and not chirping. She had to take 1 week and 1/2 to start walking properly without falling over. She hatched on April 9, 2022. She's smaller and developing slower but she's doing pretty great! It might've been caused by humidity or temp but could've also have happened naturally....The belly should go down after a few days....Hope that helps!

Thanks for the insight! I took her out of the incubator into a little box under the heater so the others wouldn’t trample on her

I just got her out to see how she’s doing and it looks like one leg isn’t working 😞 if I help support her she uses her right leg just fine but she moves the left one just doesn’t bear weight on it and it goes off to the side

Attachments

• 7241901C-0AF4-43D5-ACC6-BFA87C7F8E95.jpeg
    7241901C-0AF4-43D5-ACC6-BFA87C7F8E95.jpeg
    757.9 KB · Views: 5
I would get some B-Complex and give her 1/4 tablet daily. You can dissolve that in a little water and give her drops throughout the day.

Hard to tell what's going on with this little one. Could be slipped tendon, you'll want to feel of the tendon (more info in the links). Could be a deformity, always possible.

http://www.poultrypedia.com/poultry-podiatry
https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/

Some chicks might take a few hours-days-or a week or two to start even walking.

@IvysAnimals While it does take some chicks a few hours to find their legs when they hatch, it's not *normal* for it to take days to weeks.

BTW, congratulations on your getting your first chickens ever last month, it's exciting isn't it?!:)

Back
Top Bottom