chicken not shaking off the rain

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cindy99, Sep 27, 2010.

1. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    I have 8 Buff Orpington girls about 4 months old. They are all out in the yard in the rain. 7 of them are eating and will shake the rain off. 1 just eats and is soaked! She looks like she has been dunked in water! I wouldn't worry but she is the one that just got over being sick. Their free range time is almost over for today and I am getting ready to go out and gather them up. I think I might take a towel and try to dry her off.

Should I put a heat light on for them for a little while? Why is she so wet??

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If she is just done being sick, she might not have been preening her feathers and spreading the oil from her oil gland everywhere so water gets through feathers.

3. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    That must be it! She has only been back out with her sisters for a few days now. She was inside for 2 weeks.

Thanks! I will dry her off and give her some corn. [​IMG] She likes the corn and I am trying to put some weight back on her. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by