Chicken not standing/eyes half shut after car ride

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flowera, Mar 4, 2013.

1. flowera

flowera Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    I live in Portland where the weather is quite mild today. I just got three chickens who spend the morning in breathable bags in someone's trunk while I was at work. I met her at 1:30pm to pick them up.

I got a Gold Comet, a Rhode Island Red and a Plymouth Rock.

The Plymouth Rock Hen, about a year old, is not doing well. The other two are eating and drinking in their pen.

The Rock just wants to lay down with her tail in the air. Could she perhaps been interrupted in the egg laying process and been in a bag while she needed to lay? When I check on her, her eyes are shut but she opens them to look at me. I put some bread and water next to her. Maybe she just needs some time to cool down and readjust?

Any advice is appreciated. I could attempt to check to see if she has an egg in there but don't want to stress her out more. I felt around a little and it feels rounded but I'm not sure what it's supposed to feel like.

This is my first time with chickens but I'm very intuitive with animals having worked in vet offices and wild rehabs. I had chickens when I was a kid but not since. I've been reading everything I can find though.

Thanks!

2. flowera

Mar 4, 2013
    I just went and checked on her and she moves around a little (I put her in a nestbox) but she is breathing heavy.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I hope you have her inside where you can watch her. Nice little box in a quiet corner is where I would put her.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't understand, in bags in the trunk? For how long? That just does not sound right.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's how people transport my meat roosters that I sell. Tape the legs, toss in feedbag and into the trunk they go, even on really hot days. Not saying it's okay, but that's how some people do it.

6. flowera

Mar 4, 2013
    They were white feed bags tied at the top. This guy must sell chickens regularly. I met his wife and she transported them from a carrier into them. But I think one of them was in the bag the whole time.

Legs were not bound or anything. I'm not advocating it or anything.

She is walking around now but her eyes are still half shut at times. I'm going to wait and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by