1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken not taking to the cold? Need advice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ghenri, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Ghenri

Ghenri Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    Where I live it has just got really cold, really quickly. There was just a storm that put down about a foot or two of snow. All of my chickens seemed pretty okay with it, the only thing was they didn't want to go outside. One of them however, was acting a bit off. For the past couple of days she hasn't been eating, all she does is lay there. I thought she was dehydrated considering their water was freezing really quickly, but I gave them fresh water and she took one drink and hasn't touched it since. She won't eat or drink now. There are no other signs of anything wrong just that and she seems to always be tired. Is there something wrong or am I overthinking it? Thanks.

2. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    Is this their first winter? I ask this because my girls did not want to go out in the deep stuff. I shovel a path to my big pine tree for them to roam a little. You need to keep fresh water, can place under a bulb to keep from freezing. Maybe the one is not a snow bird. :)

3. Ghenri

Oct 15, 2013
    Yes, this is their first winter. They are all the same breed, she's just a bit smaller. Is that normal behaviour during first winter? I don't see anything else that could be wrong.

4. dewdropsinwv

dewdropsinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    I wouldn't worry too much about them not going out in the snow. Mine wouldn't go out at first either, now it doesn't matter to them if it's raining or snowing. Now I'm having trouble with them going in at night. :/

5. Ghenri

Oct 15, 2013
    Do you think the one chicken will start eating on her own? I'm not there all day long but when I am she seems disinterested in the food. Is this common when it gets cold?

6. dewdropsinwv

dewdropsinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    I would watch her for a few days if possible. Do you give them table scraps??? Mine love left over food as long as it's not spoiled. I give them scrambled eggs, bread, corn, ground beef, as a suppliment to their feed. I know they will slack off laying eggs until the days get longer. I have 12 pullets, and I get about 6 to 8 eggs per day.

This is also my pullets first winter.... it's a learning experience for sure.

7. luvmigrls

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    Like the last poster said, you can offer treats to get her to eat. My girls love cabbage and other greens. I give them dried mealy worms if they are being really fickle. If you are concerned you can add vitamin loaded electrolytes to their water. Sometimes if they have something bothering them they won't eat, yogurt is good for digestion. Also if they are egg bound they can act like that. You could check that out by feeling around her vent area for an egg. If that is the case, I gave mine a warm bath ( just up to her vent area) and using my hand I swirled the water like a jacuzzi (keep her were she can warm up to dry off. Mine laid a broken one the following day.

8. Ghenri

Oct 15, 2013
    Thank you! This is my first time owning chickens and I'm learning something new everyday. I never know if I found a problem or if I'm being too sensitive. I will give her a treat and feel for an egg. I noticed today she pecked a bit at the food, she just seemed bored by it. The advice was very helpful

9. luvmigrls

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    You are welcome. Keep us posted and best wishes.

10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If she is not eating/drinking and appears tired all the time,something is very wrong. Do not wait days for her to start eating,it may be too late. Check her for crop issues. How old is she? Is the cold affecting her,does she appear cold(some birds do not handle the cold very well,depends on breed,if they are ill,etc) Bring her inside,warm her up and monitor her condition,try and get some fluids into her,chickens become dehydrated very fast. NEVER leave a bird that is not eating/drinking,this always indicates there is a problem.

As for the rest of the birds not wanting to out in the cold,this is normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by