Chicken not walking and Deep cut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rjchicks, Mar 28, 2012.

1. rjchicks

rjchicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    Sorry I don't have pics but my leghorn hen has been over mated by the rooster again. We found our hen laying under the coop not moving so I picked her up and she was shivering. So I brought her in and found a deep dirty cut on both sides under her wing. We cleaned it up and applied neosporin all over her. She still won't move and we have her in the house in an old rabbit cage. We have been given her drops of water and left some crushed up grapes with her. I am just wondering if I am doing everything right or if I should do something else. Thanks for your responces and I will try to answer any questions you have.

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Put some electrolyte powder or drink in a waterer for her. Soft scramble an egg and leave it in there for her - she needs protein. I'd also try to get some polyvisol (no iron) baby vitamins in her. She's in shock. You'll also need to make sure she's nice and cozy warm, and in a dark quiet place for a few days. Poor baby. Rotten Roo!

3. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    klmclain is right, Vitamins and electrolits would be a good Idea, and she definately needs extra protien. Antibiotics are good, and don't let the roo mount her again any time soon.

4. rjchicks

rjchicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    She just passed away. Thanks everyone for your responces. She is in a better place now. [​IMG]

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm so sorry! Are you absolutely sure it was the rooster? Could it have been another animal or a hawk? If it was the roo, I'm not sure I'd keep him around.... Again, I am really sorry to hear this. [​IMG]

6. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    I have the same issue with a leghorn now, and yes, it's the rooster. [​IMG] Sorry about your bird, rjchicks.

7. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    [​IMG] that nasty nasty nasty rooster. Poor little thing, I am so sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by