Chicken not walking or eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunonyourfeet, Feb 14, 2013.

1. sunonyourfeet

sunonyourfeet New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    I have a (about) 2 year old Sussex hen who 2 days ago I found not walking. So I brought her inside and checked her over- her eyes are clear, breathing fine, her legs don't look inflamed or sore and when I hold her on her back and gently push her legs she gently pushes back, and likewise will pull them in when I extend them.
    But she's not at all interested in food or water! I spoon watery spirulina to her and she will drink it if I hold the spoon under her beak. I've tried to entice her with worms and such but no go. She's hardly pooing at all.
    I would really love any advice anyone can offer :) I've not ever delt with a sick chook before :(

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Well firstly, just because she's not walking doesn't necessarily mean that she has a problem with her legs. I suspect she could be eggbound, have you checked for swelling around her vent/bottom? She really needs to stay hydrated as well. Try feeding her yoghurt with a syringe...

3. sunonyourfeet

sunonyourfeet New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    Thanks Darwinchooks, i just checked her and we couldn't feel anything egg-like around her vent. She's not interested in water but I'll keep spooning it to her. Or try a syringe in the morning :/

4. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Yes, a syringe can be more helpful than a spoon. I'm sorry that she's sick. Hope she recovers okay [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by