Chicken not wanting to share nesting box ~PIC~

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChirpyChicks1, Aug 22, 2013.

1. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    This morning when I let the flock out I noticed that one of my black sex links (Kirk) kept trying to get into the nesting box (I have two boxes) but one of my red sex links (Worrywart) kept following her into the coop and pecking her then chasing her back out.

Kirk kept trying and Worrywart kept pecking and chasing. I finally went into the coop myself and waited till the two of them came back in, I pushed the red sex link back out of the coop and locked the pop door. She was not pleased [​IMG] she kept tapping the door and squawking like crazy outside. The black sex link went straight to the nesting box and made herself comfy. It was actually quite fun to watch her, she'd lay there and then pull more straw around her and on top of herself. Less than 10 minutes later I had a beautiful brown egg. She didn't do an egg song though, such a bummer!

I started getting eggs on Aug 11th and have received 7 eggs since then, never more than once a day. All but one of the eggs was found in this nesting box.

Before this morning I never saw one of them in the boxes and no clue on who could be laying. I really thought it was the red sex link that was having sharing issues this morning. She has been squatting the longest and the second to get a large comb/wattles. I just really felt like it was her but the eggs I've been finding in the nesting box have gradually been growing in size and getting dark in color, I just assumed they were all from the same chicken. [​IMG] What do you think?

Needless to say the reason for my post is because I'm concerned about this behavior. I do not want to start finding eggs in the coop bedding or out in the chicken run. Is there anything that I can do? I knew before hand that it's normal for all the chickens to use just one or a few nesting boxes but I wasn't prepared for sharing issues lol

Sorry for the length, just wanted to cover everything

Here is Kirk in the box [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Found another egg and it's huge compared to what we've found before!! (Picture doesn't do it justice) This is the first day we've gotten more than one egg :) So exciting [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now I'm thinking that it has in fact been the RSL who's been laying all along and maybe the one egg that was found outside the nest was from Kirk. I wouldn't fault Kirk for not laying in the nest after the attitude I saw from the RSL this morning.

What do I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by