Chicken not wanting to walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickmama2014, Apr 9, 2017.

1. chickmama2014

chickmama2014 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello
    We brought home some year old chickens yesterday and one is not wanting to walk. We sorta rescued them (which I'm guessing was a bad idea) they were in very cramped pens. What can I do for her? I am thinking I may even have to syringe some water in her mouth because it doesn't look like she got up to drink overnight. Also the other birds haven't found the food yet it doesn't appear. How do I make them find it? Sorry birds we've had in the past have never had problems.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Have you housed them separately from your current flock (quarantine)?

Check her over for any signs of leg injury or bumblefoot. She may also be dehydrated since you don't think she ate/drank. Offer her some poultry vitamins, you can drop water beside her beak to see if she will take in water or you can tube/syringe fluids into her.

The others birds, show them where food/water is - I don't know how you feed - but if you use feeders, tap on the side lightly to act like you are pecking it - stir the food so they can hear it, etc. Try hand feeding if necessary near the feeder.

Chickens that have be "rescued" are usually very stressed - so adding some poultry vitamins to their water would be a good idea.

Keep them quarantine for at least 3weeks so you can observe them for any signs of illness, lice/mites and parasites.

Let us know how they get along.

3. chickmama2014

Apr 14, 2014
    The hen finally started getting around after 48 hours of being here. Now my new concern is that we are getting only one egg a day. Could something be scaring these girls? Last year we had an owl that killed one of my guineas. Is it possible it's back?

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Quote: I'm glad that the hen is doing better[​IMG]
    How many hens do you have and how old are they?

If these are "rescues" and were in bad shape/conditions, then it may take them a while to resume laying eggs. Depending on their age and breed, once they begin to get into a routine, have proper nutrition, housing and get settled in, hopefully they will resume laying.

Being stressed or frightened can cause reduction in egg laying. An Owl could be playing a part - do they have secure housing for nighttime?

5. chickmama2014

Apr 14, 2014
    They didn't appear to be in to bad of shape. Other than the cramped cages they were in at the time. They are 1yr old and we only have 4. They do have a secure enclosure from any predators. We did get three eggs yesterday, so I hope that's looking up. I did notice a lot of feathers on the ground yesterday so maybe they are starting to moult?

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by