Chicken Odyssey

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JsChicksNC, Jul 22, 2013.

1. JsChicksNC

JsChicksNC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    We let our brood of eight out sometimes to range around our yard and in the woods near our house. Last week one of ours, our PBR, didn't come home at night. I was so upset thinking that something had happened to her. The next afternoon, 24 hours after I noticed she was gone, she came back up the hill out of the woods, absolutely nothing at all wrong with her. Total joy! [​IMG]

Has anyone else ever had this happen? I couldn't believe that she would want to be gone by herself for so long or that she could stay safe away somewhere for 24 hours and then eventually come home.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Glad she came back home. Maybe she has a hidden nest she's sitting on. She's fortunate she wasn't on a predator's menu last night. Better keep an eye on her!

3. JsChicksNC

JsChicksNC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    That did cross my mind about her laying somewhere else. I've definitely seen a feather or two of hers in one of the boxes but we don't think she's laid an egg yet.

I wish I had a chicken cam I could've put on her to see what her adventure consisted of!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by