1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Chicken on her deathbed? Please help! :-(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MuckyMeadowFarm, Feb 21, 2014.

1. MuckyMeadowFarm

MuckyMeadowFarm In the Brooder

Nov 11, 2013
    Brooks, Maine
    My Australorp has been really lethargic for a week. I thought it wasn't anything major until last night it took a bad turn. She was just standing outside not moving. There was a pile of bright yellow diarrhea under her. I quarantined her and put a heat lamp on her- she didn't even move when I picked her up and bedded right down. This morning I checked on her and actually thought she was dead. Her neck is craned backward and she doesn't move when I touch her. She's blinking so I know she's alive. I attached a picture, any ideas what it could be or how to treat? Thank you.[​IMG]

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Songster

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Start checking her for egg binding,crop issues(impact/sour)injuries,mites/lice/worms(worms are usually not noticeable in droppings).

Has she been eating/drinking?

Hard to tell from photo,but her crop looks very full,start with crop issues such as a impact which could explain why she has her head bent up. Crop should be full at night(after eating all day)and should be empty in morning(before eating).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  3. MuckyMeadowFarm

Nov 11, 2013
    Brooks, Maine
    I don't know about eating, I have 25 chickens so I don't keep tabs. I just checked on her and it does seem that her crop is hard and big. And I know she hasn't eaten in 24 hours. I tried massaging it. I don't know what else to do at this point but keep her comfortable. She can't even stand now... I think she's on her way out :-(

4. MuckyMeadowFarm

Nov 11, 2013
    Brooks, Maine
    She just passed. Wish I had known how to save her.

5. bucky52

bucky52 Songster

Apr 26, 2011
    [​IMG]Sorry for your loss.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Songster

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    My condolences,always heartbreaking when a pet dies.

Research crop issues(impact/sour crop)egg binding issues and tube feeding,this way you will be prepared next time.

7. jenniemig

jenniemig Songster

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    So sorry[​IMG]

8. chicken farmer8

chicken farmer8 Chirping

Jan 13, 2014
    im so sorry for your loss[​IMG]

9. MuckyMeadowFarm

Nov 11, 2013
    Brooks, Maine

Thank you, I will do my research and keep a close eye on the rest of the flock so hopefully I will be better prepared in the future.

10. MuckyMeadowFarm

Nov 11, 2013
    Brooks, Maine
    Thank you all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by