1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken on my shoulder!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ihvpower, Oct 18, 2009.

1. ihvpower

ihvpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    I go into the hen house nightly to male sure the girls are all settled in and have enough of everything and also to clean up what was put there from the morning. As I am doing this, one chicken will almost always jump on my back. As I stand up, she will walk right up and sit on my shoulder. Zit is usually one of my RI Reds but sometimes it's another. Is this a form of friendship, dominance or something else?

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I think she just likes you. [​IMG] My BC White Polish does that all the time to me!!!!!

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:You are giver of food. That chicken is not stupid. [​IMG]

4. ihvpower

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    I'll go with the one that said she likes me :)

5. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    My rir Hazel does the same thing. If I am sitting she often has a seat in my lap. She used to stand on my back and look over my shoulder while I was weeding. Not any more, she weeds with me, I pull weeds while she watches on bug patrol.

I love my chickens

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Einstein the wonder chicken thinks hes part parrot, part doberman pincher. It was cute when he was 8 weeks old, but I think he's going on 9 months or so now and will fly off my shoulder to protect me if somebody gets loud. Its sort of funny. I am probably going to have to de-spur him at some point though.

PS, the name isn't because he's super smart [​IMG]

7. ihvpower

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    excellent, all... When I dig in the yard one of the RIR will stand wand wait for me to turn up something delicious. I do believe it's the same one who hops up on my shoulder.

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by