1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken on strike?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginamomdoc, Feb 7, 2009.

1. ginamomdoc

ginamomdoc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Our PR started laying about 6 weeks ago and was up to nearly an egg per day. Then out EE started 2 weeks ago, and a week later the PR just stopped. She is eating well and running about normally, no signs of being egg bound or otherwise unhealthy. They get layer feed, greens and treats daily and have access to oyster shell all of the time. Free range 4 times weekly for hours, and are otherwise in a 20x7 run all day. We have 2 hens and a little bantam, added 3 pullets a month ago and they are all getting along well. Do I need to offer her a raise and better benefits? Maybe a nicer office?

2. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Wintertime, when the days are short, is always a weired time for laying.

Chickens get their laying cues from the amount of light. As the days are getting longer, she will pick up again real soon.

3. hisbride

hisbride Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    GA
    we haven't seen an egg since about November:(

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My BR laid for 2 weeks then quit. Not an egg from her in nearly a month. I'm hoping that she'll pick back up soon.

5. snvaugh

snvaugh New Egg

Mar 6, 2008
    Long Island
    I've got a two yr old who hasn't laid since Last JUNE!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by