Chicken one eye closed and honking

DotandDave

Chirping
Feb 8, 2018
image.jpg
My poor chooky hen Lola is sick. Ive had her since she was 1 day old and never sick til now. She’s 7mo now.

Started yesterday with her left eye closed. No weeping or pus. I could get it open and it looked okay but closed shut again. Eating fine, energy is fine, talking, still laying fine. No other symptoms.

Did some research here and found out a simple closed eye is serious.

I flushed eye with saline yesterday and she can now open tiniest slit.

Called the vet this morning and she gave me some Tricin eye drops twice daily til I can see her on Wed.

Now my girl Lola has started making a honking noise as well. Not all the time, just occasional. She sounds hoarse or blocked up. I’ve read that honking can be a chicken version of a cough.

Still no snotty stuff and doing well other than her honking/eye.

I isolated my Lola yesterday, she’s enjoying some rest time in our house with us, away from the others. None of the others are sick like her.

I’m hoping a slight respiratory prob and nothing major.

It’s nice to have her back in the house. My girls had their warm brooder in here for first 6wks of their lives. Love spoiling my girls.

I usually mix their layer mash with a little garlic and put ACV in their water.

She’s currently being spoilt in our house with raw veggies mixed with her layer mash.

I’m worried about her laying. She’ll need to get out in her hen house to lay each day with the others. I don’t know what to do about that.
image.jpg

Is there anything else I can do to help my girl feel better til the vet sees her on Wed. Vet is busy and I can’t get my Lola in any faster.

Our girl is no worse thank goodness. She’s loving being back in the house, cuddles with us on the lounge like she did when she was a baby. There’s nothing like lots of spoiling when she’s sick.

A funny thing....we went out today. Left Lola in the bathroom with a nest box in case she wanted to lay. Came home...nope no egg.

An hour later, my son and I were sitting on the kitchen floor with her for 5 mins, putting ointment in her sore eye. And out popped an egg just like that !! Funny girl, she’s so loved
E4231351-009B-400D-9A3F-BF6398BE3A87.jpeg

Vet listened to her chest and couldn’t find any respiratory prob. Eye is still being treated with ointment and vet also prescribed some homeopathic meds. Still in isolation until no more symptoms. Eye is getting a little better each day.

Back
Top Bottom