chicken-operated door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Caju, May 26, 2010.

1. Caju

Caju In the Brooder

Feb 2, 2010
    I saw those videos of the feeder where the chickens step on a little panel and it opens the feeder and thought they were very clever. I'm wondering if anyone has done something similar with a pop-door?

It would be nice if the chickens could let themselves out of their sleep house and into their run in the morning. My run is secure, so I could probably leave the door open at night, but it's been cold. I don't mind shutting them in at night and light to see them all safe and sound, but sometimes they wake up way ahead of me and I wish they could let themselves out.

Anybody done anything like this or have any ideas about it?

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    There would need to be some sort of a time lockout feature, or a predator could open it by stepping on the same pad at night.

There are pet doors that operatae using RF transmission, which would work and exclude predators.

http://www.moorepet.com/Electronic-and-Automatic-Pet-Doors-s/24.htm

The problem with them is that if a chicken gets near it with a tag, it would open, and you might not want the door to open.

That is the primary issue I see with an "open on demand" door.

3. crimsontide

crimsontide In the Brooder

May 22, 2010
    se MI
    with powered doors dont u think u could make a electric perimeter fence around your whole setup for the same cost??? if not cheaper!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

This is exactly why I have an automatic door on my coop. It's battery powered, and a light sensor controls the opening and closing of the door. I love it!! I don't have to get up to let them out... I still do a head count shortly before the door closes each night (usually) to make sure all have gotten inside the coop in time; they do.

5. Suechick

Suechick Songster

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    gryeye - can you post more details about your automatic door? It sounds sweet!

Caju - I hear your complaint about letting them out earlier than you'd like. I'm struggling with that too. Hope you find something that works, it sounds like Gryey's system will work, using a light sensor is brilliant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by