1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chicken or Duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by diamondsilkies, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Duck

28 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Chicken

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. diamondsilkies

diamondsilkies Songster

Oct 23, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    So I know this might be a little early, since it's only day 23, and chicks hatch late, but I thought it would be interesting for everyone to guess and then we'll see later on day 28.

A few weeks back, I ordered a dozen or so silkie eggs from a breeder. Six made it to lockdown, and five of them hatched. The one that hadn't hatched was a little larger than the others. I know sometimes chicks don't make it, and you're not going to have everyone make it past lockdown. I candled it on day 22 after there was no movement or chirping for the entire lockdown from this egg, and I couldn't see much movement, but the veins still looked healthy, and there looked to be a little more space than usual. I did the water float test, and it moved around, so the embryo was definitely still alive. I quickly dried it and stuck it back in the incubator. It's now late in day 23, and there's still nothing. I looked up day 22 duck egg candling, and it looked pretty close to what my egg looked like when I candled.

Now, the breeder who I bought the silkies from also raises bantam ducks. It might be possible that she accidentally gave me a duck egg with all the silkie eggs, which would explain why it's still alive but hasn't hatched yet, since ducks don't hatch until day 28. I've never kept ducks before, only chickens, so I suppose if it did turn out to be a duck, it would be quite an adventure! Of course, it's always possible that this guy is just a little late or isn't going to hatch. But I thought it would be fun to speculate for a little while until day 28 comes.

casportpony and ViolinPlayer123 like this.
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member 6 Years

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :pop

Any chance you can post a picture of the egg? And, I would ask the breeder what type of bantam duck she raises, since some hatch before day 28, and you'll want to be prepared :)

3. diamondsilkies

diamondsilkies Songster

Oct 23, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    Alright, I contacted her, I'll let you know with her response. I'll try to get a photo uploaded in a second.

casportpony likes this.
  4. diamondsilkies

diamondsilkies Songster

Oct 23, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    IMG_20171217_193609846_HDR.jpg

alibabba and casportpony like this.
  5. chickencheeper

chickencheeper Free Ranging

Jun 4, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
  6. chickencheeper

chickencheeper Free Ranging

Jun 4, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    And doesn’t look like a bantam either(do you mean call duck?) it looks like a normal duck egg

casportpony likes this.
  7. diamondsilkies

diamondsilkies Songster

Oct 23, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    I'm not sure exactly what types of ducks she raises, but for some reason I was under the impression she raised some breed of bantam ducks. She could raise other breeds, though. Again, I was just looking at silkies, I had no idea I was going to get a duck! :lol: So it could be just a regular sized duck. Also, I have pretty small hands, so that might not be the best comparison picture. I'll get one with a quarter or something. Still waiting on a reply from her, and then we can narrow down what it could be...can't wait to see what it turns out to be!

Also, if it does turn out to be a duck, I will definitely need some advice. I've never raised a duck before, and I keep mostly bantam poultry, so this should be quite an adventure! If it is a bantam variety though, it'll fit right in! I do know that you're not supposed to let them swim in water before they reach 4 weeks old, and that I can feed it chick starter, but I'll have to give it brewer's yeast (I think?) as well. That's about the extent of my duck knowledge. Do you think I can keep it with my chickens once it's grown? I probably won't if it's a drake, because I've heard they can be harmful to hens if they try to mate with them. I have a baby pool that I can use for a pond if I need to. Of course, this is all if it's a duck, although I'm pretty sure it is.

casportpony and WVduckchick like this.
  8. Mylied

Mylied Crowing 6 Years

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Ducks are super sweet, but super ridiculously messy. I have 4 grown ducks and I'm raising a duckling right now. I'm voting for duck.

9. diamondsilkies

diamondsilkies Songster

Oct 23, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    I've always thought it would be interesting to keep a duck, but never actually tried, so this should be fun!

casportpony likes this.
  10. diamondsilkies

diamondsilkies Songster

Oct 23, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    The breeder just replied, she keeps call ducks, which just happen to be the breed I've always admired the most!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: