Chicken or Hyena?!?!!?!? HELP!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thekatbus, Jul 29, 2014.

1. thekatbus

thekatbus In the Brooder

Hi there,

I have three hens...2 RSL and one Rhodesian Red Cross.

One of my RSL's is being crazy! I've only had the chickens since Saturday but this one RSL is docile and sweet, so I have been letting her free-range when I'm outside in the backyard.

Now I've noticed her yelling like a hyena...She sounds like she's laughing. It's funny/sad and VERY annoying. We live in town and close to our neighbors and if we can hear this girl, so can they....Which isn't good. For anyone.

I've noticed if I let her out of her run, the yelling stops. But that's maybe made it worse because now I think she's yelling because she thinks/knows I will eventually come and let her out just to shut her up,.

HELP!

I need to get her to stop being so loud before my neighbors all want to kill us.

I'm so new to this still, it's all confusing without this added behavior. Please suggestions|?!?!?! Please! I'm listening to her relentless scream/laugh/yells right now from 3/4 of an acre away!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She's training you to let her out. So far she 'sings' and you let her out. Basically you have been rewarding her for making noise. That works for her. Try squirting her with a water pistol whenever she becomes vocal - it MAY work.

3. thekatbus

thekatbus In the Brooder

I definitely will do. I was also thinking maybe to throw a cabbage in there to give her something to keep her occupied

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Absolutely, things like flock block, a suspended head of cabbage anything to keep her busy should help.

5. thekatbus

thekatbus In the Brooder

thank you so much....what is flock block?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: