Chicken or Rooster and what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickenfoundme, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Chickenfoundme

Chickenfoundme Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

This friendly bird wandered into our yard and took up residence in some bushes 3 days ago. I bought some chicken feed today and fed it. Also put some water in a dish nearby.
    What is it?
    I'd rather not see it attacked by the coyotes, raccoons, or Hawks we see on our 5 acres. And no neighbors claim it as thier's. I do not mind giving it a home and reading up on chicken care. I've been contemplating chickens and think this might be a nudge that I should start now.
    1. If I buy a coop, what 1-2 other chickens should I get?
    2. I don't know if it's a rooster or not, but I haven't heard it crow. Is it a chicken or a rooster?
    3. What breed is it?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

from this angle it looks like a roo.
    not sure on the breed.
    if you get more chickens get some that are around the same size. how big is he?

1 person likes this.
  3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Might be an Easter Egger cockerel.

1 person likes this.
  4. Poultry parent

i was thinking that too i just wasn't sure

5. Chickenfoundme

Chickenfoundme Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback. He is about a foot tall. He has not crowed at all. Is that normal of he is a rooster? Can he be kept alone? If I get hens, will the eggs be fertilized and does that mean they are not as edible? I know I have a lot to learn quickly if I'm going to make a home for him.

6. Poultry parent

some roos don't crow as much as others and they usually crow when there are hens. you could keep him alone if you treat him as a pet otherwise it's best to get some hens for him. if you do get hens most of the eggs will be fertile and they are still perfectly edible. if you are worried about cracking open an egg and finding a half developed chick then just collect the eggs daily, the eggs can't develop unless a hen broods on them (sits on the eggs and then screeches at you if you try and take her off or she will puff up.) a foot tall if fairly small so make sure that if you get hens that they are about the same size

7. mtn2mama

mtn2mama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2013
    [​IMG] my young flock taking a morning stroll. The white chicks are amber links. Looking at the one in the middle, could this be a cockerell?

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yes, the one in the middle is a cockerel.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

10. mtn2mama

mtn2mama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2013
    Thanks for the confirmation. These chicks are 15 weeks old. We have raised babies for the last 4 years, this is the first roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by