Chicken or Rooster ?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by buttemontana, May 30, 2016.

1. buttemontana

buttemontana New Egg

May 30, 2016
    [​IMG]

I have NEVER had the unfortunate luck of getting a Rooster in my batch of chicks, I am starting to wonder if my luck has changed ( i only say unfortunate because I am not allowed to have them where I live). My Barred Rock has created a family debate.... ROOSTER or HEN ? can anyone help ? No cockadoodle'z yet at 24 weeks, not aggressive but I Think this chicken is a rooster ???, ( I do have an EE that is crowing and mean and totally a rooster and being rehomed) ! Whats your take ROO or HEN ?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Barred rocks are not birds I've kept I'm afraid. I see you have posted in the what breed gender, I'm sure members will be able to help you there. Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - hope the gender experts will be able to help you out.

All the best
    CT

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    It does appear to be a cockerel. Also I see in your thread title you said "chicken or rooster", I just want to clarify that a rooster is a male chicken, a hen is a female chicken. Thus a "chicken" isn't the name of a gender.

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to byc!

I think you have a cockerel. It will be fun to see though, they say you never know till it crows.

I had a friend from Butte, actually maybe Bozeman whichever is the smaller town. I am in CA. The first time she saw the beach was her 21st birthday. I hope to visit Montana one day, just to see it's beauty.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think he is a cockerel. The white areas are wider than the barring, he has yellow legs, and quite a comb& wattles. But I am no expert. Please do post photos at "what breed or gender is this." and also his age in the photo. They should be able to give you an accurate appraisal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by