Chicken Orbs

Has anyone used chicken orbs?
If yes, pros and cons.
Thanks
I had to look that up. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen. So many things could go wrong. The birds could still be killed in that and would be trapped and unable to attempt to run to safety.
So my basic thoughts are, it's a rolling death trap.

I had to look that up. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen. So many things could go wrong. The birds could still be killed in that and would be trapped and unable to attempt to run to safety.
So my basic thoughts are, it's a rolling death trap.
I'm thinking of getting a few. BUT they would never be rolling around in my yard alone. We have hawks that could get to them. I would have to be out there with them. I just think they would so love running around the yard and I could allow them to do that in this orb. The only concern I have is their feet? I'm still not sold on them just thinking it through and trying to weigh the pros and cons

When I was a kid I tried to design a wheel for a mouse so it could run about, I used a basket. The mouse squeeked when it tried to run on it, I realized it was crushing the mouse's toes.

If it could work, with out hurting the toes, it would be pretty neat.

I'm thinking of getting a few. BUT they would never be rolling around in my yard alone. We have hawks that could get to them. I would have to be out there with them. I just think they would so love running around the yard and I could allow them to do that in this orb. The only concern I have is their feet? I'm still not sold on them just thinking it through and trying to weigh the pros and cons
Then just let them out to run around in full control of their bodies so they can fly/run to safety if needed.
I can see a chicken get toes broken in those things. Even a neck. You'd be amazed at how easily they can get themselves caught in tight spots and injured.

Regarding the chicken orbs in particular, chickens like to eat plants, scratch for bugs, wander around, and dustbathe. The orb would prevent dustbathing, would mostly prevent the scratching, make the wandering difficult, but would allow them to eat plants. Considering how many chicken behaviors it allows vs. how many it blocks, I do not think a chicken would like it.

I know of several other ways to have chickens outside sometimes:

You could let them out in the yard, completely free, and stay with them. That can work well if your chickens are fairly tame, and especially if you train them to come when called (call = treats, chickens come running.)

Or you could get some kind of pet playpen, pet gazebo, wire dog crate with the bottom removed, wire rabbit cage with the bottom removed, etc. Any of those could be a portable thing that sits on the ground, that the chickens can be in, so they can eat plants and scratch in the dirt. Any of those would need supervision, because they do not protect the chickens very well from predators. But I think the chickens would be much happier with any of those options, instead of being inside the orb. If you're looking at buying "several" of the chicken orbs, that is enough money to buy something bigger and put in several chickens at once.

You could also get a harness and leash for a chicken, or tether them like people do with gamecocks. If you are right there supervising (because of predator concerns), I think the chickens would like either of those better than the orb.

Last edited:
I'd have to ask the question of WHY?

I want to prevent them from running away or getting into a garden - Fence the area
I want to prevent them from flying away - Clip a wing
I want to protect them from predators - A hawk attacking this this would surly break the chickens neck. If they are free, they at least have a chance to run away. Secure the run instead.

I genuinely don't see a reason that this item should exist. This feels like just trying to play off the childhood memory of a hamster in a ball while entirely missing the point of that product.

Aside from what has been said earlier, my main concern would be the chicken getting stuck in the underbrush. You only need one stick or branch to get into the orb, immobilizing it. Then chicken is a sitting Duck (pun intended)

I'd have to ask the question of WHY?

I want to prevent them from running away or getting into a garden - Fence the area
I want to prevent them from flying away - Clip a wing
I want to protect them from predators - A hawk attacking this this would surly break the chickens neck. If they are free, they at least have a chance to run away. Secure the run instead.

I genuinely don't see a reason that this item should exist. This feels like just trying to play off the childhood memory of a hamster in a ball while entirely missing the point of that product.
The Why!! would be to protect them from the hawks.

Back
Top Bottom