Chicken Ordinance turned DOWN in Papillion

onehappyclucker

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
Papillion , NE
We just returned from our city council vote on allowing chickens in Papillion and it was voted down 6 to 2. I am upset, mad, and disappointed in our 'up and coming' city.
he.gif
At the open forum not one family was against them - in fact over 15 families spoke FOR the chickens and gave every reason to have chickens as a choice. Even humane society was there, letter from Mother Earth News, farmers, people who had chickens growing up.... To top it off only 2 city councilmen said yes and NO ONE else had the guts to say why they were saying no. There was so much work going into this. I really am disappointed in our City and my kids are sad as well... Who would have know that we have so many closed minded people in our city. What a bunch of Chickens are council is to turn it down and not give a CLUCK what the residence really want!
somad.gif

The ball's in your court now. Why not go ahead and have them, albeit low-key? Having chickens is not immoral, life-threatening, or in any other way comparable to "crimes" that laws are generally there to prevent. Such laws as these are the non-sense result of people with too much time on their hands, and no real appreciation for the simple things of life.

What's up with Papillion anyway??? I would have thought they would have gone the way of Omaha and allow them. They could have even wrote the same ordinance that we have. I agree that I would keep a very low key flock.....unless you were the one's featured on the news......well...then... I could keep a couple of yours at my house.
How long until it can be put to the council again...What can be said to change their minds OR how long will it take before the nay-sayers are off the city council.

Last edited:
So what do we do now? I am a firm believer that governments exist to serve the will of the people. So if the people want chickens...give them chickens. This issues needs to be revisited on a regular basis...if it has not already been. What do we need to do!!!

So what do we do now? I am a firm believer that governments exist to serve the will of the people. So if the people want chickens...give them chickens. This issues needs to be revisited on a regular basis...if it has not already been. What do we need to do!!!

Start a petition. Get every other person you know who supports chickens to also circulate it. Get as many signatures as possible, and show up at every council meeting and give the total of signatures during the open comments period. Keep collecting, and keep reporting the growing total.

If that doesn't light a fire under them, see if any candidates who run against the six that voted against chickens support having chickens. Work for those candidates. Make it clear if your councilperson voted against chickens that you just can't vote for them again.

It took three years in Newark, CA to expand the allowable flock from two to four. It took serious persistence, and repeated explanations that having only two implied cruelty to biddies because if one died, the other would be miserable, lonely, and frightened.

Find someone who lives in an area with legal backyard chickens who has a nice, calm, friendly biddy or two they would be willing to bring to the meeting the next time the vote comes out. It is amazing how many council people are capable of changing their minds if a sweet biddy is contentedly eating scratch from their hand, tastefully arranged on a dog training pad or attired in a colorful diaper to avoid poop on the councilperson's desk or lap.

Well...the plan is to start a petition when the weather gets a little nicer. Hopefully I can get enough signatures by the middle of spring to encourage a positive vote on a new ordinance. In the meantime...I have started a Facebook page, facebook.com/papiocluck. The goal is to raise as much online support/awareness as possible. So....anyone interested in showing support for Papillion chicken keepers go like the page!!! Thanks.

Does anyone know if this passed? My brother will be moving to Papillion soon and are wondering if they can bring
Their chickens!

Legally they need to give valid reasons why a no vote is cast. They need to out line how it will be a harm. Learning and practicing a green sustainable way of living...growing what we feed our families--is a good thing! Do not give up! research a new approach? I would appeal this decision.

Back
Top Bottom