Chicken orphaned, what do I do??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dominique man, Jul 25, 2014.

1. dominique man

dominique man In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2014
    Findlay Ohio
    I had three chickens and recently two were killed by an unknown predator. There is one left and she is completely alone. What should I do about this? I know that chickens should be in groups and I'm getting three more chicks on August 4th but will she be alright with them? Should I send her off to be with my friends chickens for a while? I'm devastated as they were my favorite pets after my dog. Thanks for the help

2. abserbean

abserbean Songster

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    I wouldn't send it to your friends, it will just stress the bird more and may introduce disease/cocci strains that could make her sick. Aug isn't that far away, if you can't get her a friend before then, you could try placing a mirror in the coop. I haven't done this, but know that some have had success with it.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    How old are the chicks you are getting? I they're considerably younger and smaller than your hen, you will need to keep them separated until they're close to the same size. She could likely kill babies if you put them in with her. And if you get adults or larger chicks, there will still be chasing and pecking to establish the pecking order. They're not going to just live happily ever after right away.

4. dominique man

Jul 11, 2014
    Findlay Ohio
    I'm getting day old chicks so they will probably not be good with her so I think I'm going to go for sending her off to my friends to live with them for a bit

5. dominique man

Jul 11, 2014
    Findlay Ohio
    Oh crap I just read the second post so I'll try the mirror

6. dominique man

Jul 11, 2014
    Findlay Ohio
    What I did was I put a radio in there and put the channel on 1330 AM (a talk show station) and she seems to like it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: