chicken overheating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickie fam, Jul 12, 2011.

1. chickie fam

chickie fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    Erwin, NC
    I have one 7 week old chick that has overheated. I brought her inside and she's just laying there with her eyes closed. Is there anything I can do to help her? I lost two already today from the heat. Is there anything I can do to help her recover? Very worried [​IMG] Please help!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    How about giving her some drinking water with vitamins/electrolites with a dropper to help cool her off.

So sorry this has happened, maybe you should bring your chicks into the basement? Is their coop and run shady?

3. chickie fam

Jan 31, 2011
    Erwin, NC
    I've been giving her some water through a dropper and thats the only time she's drinking. Not sure how much I should get her to drink before I let her alone for a while. Their run is shady and in a breezy spot but she was under a pile of chickens. There were two that I had to bring in but one is up and fine and she's still laying. I believe she almost died, because she wasn't breathing very much and when I was carrying her she was letting her head hang down.

4. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    Try cool water under her wings..and place in front of a fan. Hope she does ok..what a day for you and and your chickens! Sorry hope it goes better!

5. chickie fam

Jan 31, 2011
    Erwin, NC
    How much water is too much to give to her? She's starting to breathe better but she still isn't really moving at all. I picked her up and tried to sit her on her feet and she just flopped over again. Was I too late to save her?

6. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    I'd give them ALL either some vitamin water or (even better) Sav-a-chick in their water. I've heard a lot of people on here misting their chickens with a sprayer to help them cool down. I hope the little one does alright [​IMG]

7. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I would keep giving her electrolytes, and as much water as she will drink. I would also try dipping her feet in cool water in addition to cool water under her wings.

I hope she starts to feel better! [​IMG]

8. chickie fam

Jan 31, 2011
    Erwin, NC
    I keep trying to give her water every 5 or 10minutes through the dropper but she keeps trying to go back to sleep. Should I let her go to sleep or keep trying to wake her up? Where do I get Sav-a-chick from?

9. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    I get it at Tractor Supply.

10. ChickiePieGirl

ChickiePieGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Misting my chickens the past two days really seemed to cool them off!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by