Chicken owner = 6yrs; Duck owner = 6 days!!

Mum

Songster
8 Years
Dec 23, 2011
UK
I have a small flock of chickens (16); at the weekend, I bought a trio of Khaki Campbells.

Now, before I indulged in chooks or quacks, I did research to be sure I could cope and give them the best I could.

However, once you actually have them in your life, you then see other questions which you didn't think of before
roll.png

So, here are some questions:-

1) Learned (after the event!) that KC's are not really brood-friendly! Could a broody hen hatch duck eggs? If so, what are the pitfalls?

2) Chooks put themselves to bed quite happily; the KC's seem confused by this? Will they "learn" where bed is and then go to it at dusk?

3) The KC's are so very sensitive right now of my presence. Will this always be the case? Do I need to handle them more?

4) Can I FR them together?

5) Although not bred as a meat bird, could they still offer potential as a meat product? (I'm thinking longer term here ;) )

Thanking you in advance of any replies.

My ducks were very sensitive to me in the beginning. They loathed me. Not sure why. They weren't nearly as easy going as my chickens.

1) I've read that silkies have brooded duck eggs.

2) My ducks put themselves to bed when they see fit. Usually before the chickens, but a lot of people have trouble getting their ducks to go to bed.

3) I think my first sentence kind of sums up my opinion/experience with that one.

4) FR? :/

5) I've heard from many people that Khakki Campbells are not suggested as meat birds, as they have very little on them. They are meant for eggs, and do their egg job well. If you want a meat duck, I suggest Muscovy. They have a lot of meat on them at a very young age.

Thanks, aoxa

1) I have breeds (non-silkie) which will be broody and potential foster mothers.

2) Interesting that the ducks go to bed pre-chook! I shall watch for that, thank you :)

3) Hearing you!

4) FR = free-ranging (= time together, free ranging) :)

5) Ok, so for meat, I need Muscovy? Aren't they poor layers?? Hmm that means weighing up the pro's and con's (feed vs production ;) ) Thank you, that was enormously helpful!!!!

1) Chicken hens can very effectively hatch duck eggs. An occasional hen might give up before the 28 day incubation period so be prepared for that eventuality. Because of the extended incubation for duck eggs it is best to set a hen as soon as she becomes broody.

2) In my experience ducks are reluctant to put themselves to bed in a coop. They can be trained to enter a coop, but you may have to encourage them to enter the coop on a daily basis.

3) They should warm up to you. Food is a great motivator. I would not recommend more handling as this will add to their stress at the present time.

4) They should be able to free range together without any problems.

5) I'm not sure how much meat they carry, but they should be OK for consumption.
idunno.gif

Muscovies are great natural broody ducks and in my opinion they are the best tasting duck breed. A muscovy hen can easily raise two broods a year and some instances more are possible. They are a great meat producing breed in my opinion.

Thanks, aoxa 1) I have breeds (non-silkie) which will be broody and potential foster mothers. 2) Interesting that the ducks go to bed pre-chook! I shall watch for that, thank you :) 3) Hearing you! 4) FR = free-ranging (= time together, free ranging) :) 5) Ok, so for meat, I need Muscovy? Aren't they poor layers?? Hmm that means weighing up the pro's and con's (feed vs production ;) ) Thank you, that was enormously helpful!!!!
Okay, so free ranging - Yes. My ducks and chickens live together full time, so free ranging would work. My ducks go further than my chickens.
IMG_2764.jpg
IMG_2477.jpg
IMG_1883.jpg
My drake sometimes harasses my chickens, but he really loves them. I can tell :p My female actually thinks she's a chicken. I'm sticking to that conclusion :gig
IMG_2700.jpg

Aoxa, the second picture is HYSTERICAL. I love the expression on your duck's face. Cracked me up! That is a gorgeous chicken too. All your birds are very pretty.

Aoxa, the second picture is HYSTERICAL. I love the expression on your duck's face. Cracked me up! That is a gorgeous chicken too. All your birds are very pretty.
Thanks :D He was looking at a plane crossing the sky. I love the way ducks scope out the horizon. It's so much different than chickens, and I laugh every time.
IMG_2634.jpg
Here they both are scoping it out :gig My boy in the picture (the rooster) was really young at the time. He gets prettier everyday :love

Back
Top Bottom